sod anywhere on east?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yards, Feb 8, 2005.

1. yards

yards LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site but I've been in the business a long time-I have a question-i'm involved with a flower show (next week) and I've changed my garden design to include a little green grass/sod, about 120 sq ft but i can't seem to locate any sod that isn't dormant, yes I need it green-I was hoping to find some in the Carolina's/Georgia but haven't come across any. Any info, leads are most appreciative-Even if it's not the best or slightly used (another show?) thanks for the time- :help:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure if this will help or not but this farm is almost in North carolina, VA. Turf Farms 1 800 338 8283

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You can try the farms in the Pinehurst, NC area but the problem is that most of the sod in the the NC/SC/GA farms will be warm season grassess so it will be dormant this time of year. The grass for the Superbowl was grown at a farm in GA a special blend so they might have some type of green sod.

Just a thought what a lot of folks here do for a show is use dormant sod and spray paint it green. It really doesn't look that bad for a temp set up. The city here spends a couple days evry year the ACC Basketball Tourny or one of the NCAA Tourney is here paint the grass around the arena.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

grow your own rye grass. takes 2 weeks max and if you over seed the snot out of it it will be the densest greenest thing you ever found.

You could even containerize it in 2x2 boxes.

5. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

The show is next week he stated.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

operative word was max.

the other thing you could use is wheat grass. But Ihave no idea on germination there.

you could pre germinate the seeds by soaking them in warm water overnight. That will accelerate the sprouting.