sod bid urgent request

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scottknussmann, Jan 20, 2004.

1. scottknussmann

scottknussmann LawnSite Member

I am wanting to know a good rule of thumb for charging someone for a sod job...what is a good way to bid on top of the price of sod? Your help is needed asap, and is much appreciated.
    Knussmann Lawn & Landscape
  2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Could you give some spacifics about the job? Size of property? Is the land prep'd? What are the soil conditions? Are you going to need to bring in any top soil? Is there many large rocks that will need to be removed? What equipment do you have to work with? If you need to rent equipment; what are your rental fees going to run you?

There's a lot of factors that go into a fresh install. It's hard to give you a general price/sq. yard. Another thing that factors in is the area the property is located. Here in Ky. the price may not even be in the same ballpark as in Texas. Try to get as much info. from guys in that area as you can.
  3. milus

milus LawnSite Member

I have always charged the same to lay the sod as I do for the price of the sod(pricecharged for the customer). Say the price you charge the customer is $2.50 sq. ft. for the sod than charge $2.50 sq. ft. to lay it or if they are good customers charge $ 1.99 to lay it. That is for small jobs like 2-3,000 sq. ft. I could be bad wrong but I a have always felt that was fair for both parties. Prepping the area and hauling in dirt etc. is not included in that price. Just strictly for the sod and laying it.
  4. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

You charge Fifteen thousand dollars for a 3k sq. ft. sod install???????

Please tell me me a little more about Batesville milus because I'm moving there a.s.a.p.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

He didnt say he charged that much, he used those figures as an example.

The prices i charge to lay sod now is $.25/sq ft on preped ground. You can easily prep the ground for an extra $.05 a sq. ft.
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I really can't understand how you guys have a general "per square foot" price. You're killing me! Until about 2 weeks ago, I probably wouldn't have thought much about it. But I had something pointed out to me at a conference.....

Do you charge the same price (per sq ft) for a 250 sq ft job as you do a 25000 sq ft job? If yes, WHY????!!!!?? You're overhead will be much higher on a percentage basis for the 250 foot job than it will be on the 25000 foot job.

You need to figure out a better way to do it. Something tells me you would be fine on a medium sized job, but the smaller ones (and maybe the bigger ones too) you don't do as well as you think you will.

Something to think about...

What you are doing is pricing the job, and "hoping" for a percentage of profit, whether you realize it or not. What you should be doing is figuring out what kind of profit you want to make, THEN figure in your materials, overhead, labor, etc, and then get your price for the job. EVERY JOB WILL (SHOULD) COME OUT PRICED DIFFERENTLY!!

Think about it a little bit, once it was pointed out to me it was like a slap in the face, a wake up call....

7. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

There are so many variables involved in each individual install, that any actual answer will likely be just as vague as the original question.

An honest, well informed answer might be "You can charge ten cents to a dollar over the direct cost (which varies) of the sod."
    That may very well be accurate, but it doesn't help much.

It's like trying to answer "what's a good price for a used car?"

No offence meant to Scott or anyone.

It's just the nature of the beast.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I've said it before and still cannot understand why some of you that are new to business, or just not sure about business moves, do not attend seminars for this type of stuff during the off-season. Are some of you that lazy that you can't leave the computer and register for some of these great seminars that the REAL pro's and successors of the industry are willing to share. They are willing to give to you the knowledge they have gained so you too can succeed. Everybody goes to the shows and gives feedback about the latest and greatest ZTR. You should be looking for where the chairs and podium are. This knowledge and their business strategies will earn you more money than a ZTR that goes 15 mph versus 10 mph. Even with some seminars costing a few hundred dollars, that can be recovered from one simple job. Maybe you think you're too good to listen to them. I know I'm not.

To answer the original question, way, WAYYYYYYYY to many variables to give standard pricing for this.
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The conference I was referring to was a three day conference. The kicker about it was I think the registration fee for the association members was less than $45/person!

I sat and listened to several speakers give out literally millions of dollars of information. And know what? I bet that less than 5% of the landscape companies in the state attended the conference...

10. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

just double your materials plus any tractor time $45 per hour