sod bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jason2, Apr 12, 2001.

1. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

Looking for some input on a sod bid.

Property: 11,000 sq ft. Irrigation system is already in place, Grading has been done, soil is sandy.

What is required on job: Final grading(landscape rake), non-selective herbicide, starter fert, installation of sod.

My sod cost is .15 sq/ft.

I haven't worked the numbers yet, but a rough guess right now puts me in the ballpark of $3,800-4,000.

Wondering if this sounds a bit high? I know prices vary greatly in different markets. But just curious if this sounds in line. Thanks.

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Markets and margins differ, but we'd price that job at about an even $3K. 1 day's work for a crew of 3. For my area that's a mid to mid-high price for that project. I say that because I know that around the country prices seem to fluctuate wildly for this, based on previous threads.

3. site

site LawnSite Member

With your sod cost I'd be between 4000 and 4400 depending on how much cutting there is to do and slopes and accesability. Don't forget to water it as you put it down. Forget once and you'll know why.

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

The numbers I come up with are 28 pallets. I would charge at least $4,500 figuring in cutting in ect., especially if I have to lift a rake on the site. I am not framiliar with the roll sod so I am figureing by the pallet.

Stonehenges guys would consider the Eiffel Tower a one day job for a crew of 3, most of us are not so lucky. LOL
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I think you're confusing my guys with Paul's. :)

6. greens1

Just going by that last retaining wall job you guys did. I have to call them as I see them. LOL
    Good Luck and Good Friday,
    Jim L

7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

We would figure about 2500 to do this as there is no grading or anything. Take 3 guys 4-5 hours to roll out 1200 rolls of sod

8. greens1

Sorry guys, my abacus was broken, my privious number of pallets should have read 18, not 28.
    Jim L

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

$4216.00 to be exact is what I come up with. You price is very much inline.

10. Clinton D. Wagner

Clinton D. Wagner LawnSite Member

<table border BORDERCOLOR="#0033FF">
    <th colspan=15><font size=-1><FONT COLOR="#0033FF"><B>BID FORM </B></font><tr>
    <th><font size=-1><B>MATERIALS NEEDED</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;QTY&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>X's UNIT COST</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL MATERIAL COST</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>UNITS PER HOUR</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL LABOR HOURS</B></th></th><th><font size=-1><B>X's LABOR RATE</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL LABOR COST</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>TOTAL LABOR AND MATERIALS</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>X's OVER HEAD MARKUP</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>DIVIDED BY NET PROFIT %</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= MY NET</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL BID</B></th><th><font size=-1><B>= TOTAL PER UNIT</B></font></th><tr>
    <td><font size=-1><B>INSTALLING SOD</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>11,000 SF </B></td><td><font size=-1><B>&nbsp;&nbsp;.15&nbsp;&nbsp;</B></td>
    <td><font size=-1><B>$1,650.00</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>650 SF PER HOUR</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>16.92 HOURS</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$21.21</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$358.87</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$2,008.87</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>1.18</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$2,370.46</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>0.740740</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$829.66</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$3,200.12</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$0.2909 PER SF</B></td><tr>
    <td></td><td></td><td></td><td> </td><td></td><td></td><td> </td><td></td><td></td><td> </td><td></td><td></td>
    <td><font size=-1><B>Total Bid</B></td><td><font size=-1><B>$3,200.00</B></td><td></td><tr></font></table>