sod bidding?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GreenImage, Nov 15, 2007.

1. GreenImage

GreenImage LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to give him a bid on a sod install on Monday. I've laid sod a few times but never had to bid it.

Its already graded, but I'll be putting out topsoil first. But I haven't seen the property yet. So I don't know any other details.
    Can you guys tell me the most common method of how to bid for a sod install.

Thanks.

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Measure the square footage of the area that needs sod. Factor in your cost of sod and soil. Don't forget to get a little bit extra sod.

3. GreenImage

I guess its not complicated. Just like you said. Measure the area to see how much I'll need. Include soil and fertilizers. And include my time and labor. Thats about it then.

How much do you guys mark up your supplies like sod.
    I mark up my supplies about 10-15% usually.

4. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

when ordering sod this is what i do, i hope this helps.

There are 9 square feet in a "yard" of sod, so if you have 3,500 square feet of lawn area to plant you will need to order at least 388 yards of sod. 3,500 / 9 = 388. Many companies only sell sod in units of 50 yards per pallet.
    3500 / 9 = 388yards divide by 50 (1pallet) = 7.76 pallets or 8 pallets

Example – 22ft x 15ft= 330ft
    330ft divided by 9sqft = 36.666666 or 37yards
    So you would need 1 pallet of sod (pallets come in 50yards)

5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We do large jobs for around $3.25 a yard if all the prep work is done, if not it's an extra $1.00 per yard. We pay about 1.25 to 1.50 per yard for sod.

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

A simple way to price it is to figure how much it will cost you and double it. I did my first couple of sod jobs this way. Can't really go wrong. After you figure out the top soil situation, then the rest is just the sod cost and labor. Measure the property and get the the total area (sq. ft.) A pallet of sod here usually covers 500 sq. ft. Check with your local sod company before you bid, and get the actual cost per pallet and the sq. ft. per pallet. Actual cost per pallet depends on the type of grass. Just don't forget to figure in extra money for delivery fees the sod company charges. I usually charge $100/pallet for the labor to lay it (plus cost and delivery.) I may go a little less per pallet if the property needs 18-20 pallets or more. Now that is no grading, just laying sod. Hope this helps some.

7. GreenImage

Thank you all of this helps.

8. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We buy sod for anywhere 12.5 cents to 19.5 cents (delivered) a square foot. We charge around 40 to 55 cents to lay the sod. The prep work is usually done or we charge $55 an hour with a min of 2 hrs. It is sold by the square foot here not square yard. Sod companies put 500 sq ft on a pallet and can deliver as much as 10,000 sq ft at one time.

9. GreenImage

new horizon do you charge 40-55 total or plus the cost of the sod?

10. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Total. We are higher than most contractors. Most are between 30 and 35.