sod...by the foot???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JLong, Feb 26, 2007.

1. JLong

JLong LawnSite Member

I just called the local sod farm I have been buying sod from for the past three or four years. I ask what the price will be for the 2007 season, and learn this. They no longer sell sod by the yard. It is now sold by the sq. foot. and each roll is now 8" longer which means heavyer. Is this common around the country or is the sq. foot deal a new thing???

2. brocksdiesel

brocksdiesel LawnSite Member

Does it really matter? 450sq ft. or 50 sq yds. Breaks down the same. Sounds like the farm got a new harvester that for some reason needed the rolls to be bigger.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I sell by the square foot.....its one less equation if its bought that way. Overall, it doesn't matter.

4. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

who are you dealin with? never heard that around here. all by the yard still with the growers i deal with. what is the price per foot? does it come out the same?

5. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

same thing here where i live . the co i bought from last started selling by the sq ft .

6. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

Always been by the foot around here.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Have always bought by the sqft.

8. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Bought and sold by square foot here - always has been . 503 sq ft per pallet . Most larger jobs now are big rolls . A full sized roll is separated in half to make a Dingo roll .

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

No rolls here.
    Pallets are about 450 sq ft.