Sod charging. flat rate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bigjeeping, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone charge a flat rate for sod install? The area is already graded and she is buying and having the sod delivered. She just wants a price to lay it.

She is getting 3 pallets. What would you charge?

2. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

well usually we charge (Now mind you the bigger the job I.e. over 10,000 Sq ft the price goes down... but basically for a 500sqft pallet we usually charge .90-$1.10 a sq ft. That includes removal old sod, grading, sod and installation since that is all done.. I think you should be charging somewhere around .35 -.45 sq ft.. which if they are 500 sqft pallets your looking at 1,500 sq ft or $525 to install, you may go lower considering it should only take you 2 hours

3. Fritz Creek Lawnboy

Fritz Creek Lawnboy LawnSite Member

Post your zip code and I can tell you what the national estimator says it will be price wise. Per yard installed. Prices went in a weeks time from .18 to 1.43 in Miss after Katrina! That is just the labor price for install on a ready to lay lot.

4. jbailey52

Yea thats mississsippi... anywhere people can make a buck after a disaster they will!....

An estimator wont help, every company is different... $1 is different from one to a next. You need to realize what YOU need to make for YOUR business.

5. Fritz Creek Lawnboy

Fritz Creek Lawnboy LawnSite Member

This is very true! However when every company out there is charging $1.25 per yard laid and in order for your company to make it's overhead you think you have to have $3.75 per yard laid. You may as well stay home and not bother to bid the job because more than likely you will not get it any way. However if you can stay within a ball park range then your knowledge will prevail. In other words what I am telling you is that at least if he knows that for his zip code sod contractors are getting .25-.35 per yard laid he can then better decided what his over head and markup is. The Estimator is updated weekly nationwide, and its prices are very consistent within the market. And you are very correct about the influx of all the wannabes wanting to make a buck after a disaster like this. But I can say that the inspectors are out and making arrest to the unlicensed business out there. I have been checked a few dozen times my self for my licenses and I am from here and know most of the inspectors. Also the state tax commission is out on a daily basis making sure that only leg git business are operating.

6. jbailey52

whats the website? Im interested in checking it out

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

ditto....post a link

prices did jump up a lot here since the storm.cost of fill dirt and top have both doubled.

8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

zip is 48103, let me know!

9. jbailey52

seems he doesnt know the site???

10. BALSECA LANDSCAPING

BALSECA LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

to install sod we charge 6.35 a roll to install including removing old turf