1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod cutter on plow blade.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Our local DW dealer sells a special blade/cutter for existing lawns. I cannot find it on the DW website.

We have been using a regular blade for grass lawns and it rips it up more than I like. It has been recommended that we use a sod blade. I am looking for more info on it. Specs, photos, etc.. Personal experience as well.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What plow do you have?

We have a sod cutter (looks like a pizza cutter) wheel on our 410. It does a nice job.

You can also use a D handled spade and a laborer to cut the sod as you plow.
  3. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Like Jon we have a pizza cutter wheel's on our 410's and LM42's
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The special blade might be a 'turf shark' - they include extra material, so that a downward-slanted edge is contacting the turf.
  5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 255sx. I have seen the attachment. It has a cutter wheel and a couple of pads on either side to push the sod back down. I don't remember if it was a completely different blade or if it attached to an existing blade.

6. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Take the pads off , They only make a mess. When your pulling just keep a eye on the cutting wheel, make sure it's a 1in. or so in the ground. Allso make sure your pulling blade is not square on the top , grind it to a V. I was useing a blade this week that was square up top and it pull's alot of dirt out.