sod cutter or rototilling before laying sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSL 23, Sep 4, 2003.

1. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

hi

do you use a sod cutter or rototilling before laying sod

think you

2. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Have a small job lined up in 4 weeks- about 1500 sq ft- Going to rent sod cutter for fisrt time
    We don't lay much sod- but if I was doing it alot -It would vary-
    I don't think I would want to run a sod cutter on 1 acre- Would have a Bobcat with preperator do a larger yard

3. GSL 23

GSL 23 LawnSite Member

you will like the sod cutter alot

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're laying sod, the base needs to be loosened and worked up for the sod to take. A sod cutter will not do this, as a matter of fact, in many cases, it glazes the surface. The sod will never take before it dies. Round-up the existing, till it, rake the slag off, do your final leveling with a landscape rake, and lay your sod. Don't forget to roll and tuck your edges, and water the mercy out of it. Now, - if you wait long enough for all the foliage to dry up well, and till it well enough, many times you can get by without removing any or minimal amount of slag. If you're going to do this, you might as well do it right.

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Depends on the site.

If we are getting rid of an old tired lawn that is thick enough. We sod cut, then till in compost and or peat. We roll the old sod, thus getting rid of the surface weed seeds.

If it is thin. Sod cut, landscape rake the debris out. Till adding same ammendments.

If we are piecing in to nice turf we will sod cut to the appropriate thickness and just lay the sod without disturbing the soil below. This prevents settling problems.

It works just fine and the sod does root.

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Uh - BOTH!

We ALWAYS use a sod cutter. It's NOT fun rototilling up chunks of old turf. And we usually use a rototiller too, unless the soil underneat is real nice.

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

Why not strip it with a sod cutter, aerate the sub soil.....correct your grades, and topdress with amendments (run a thatcher with flails over it to work the amendments into the cored areas, then lay sod.....This way you don't have a lawn that settles uneven due to the rototilling,

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Interesting

But that is only the top at most 2"

Tilling in organic matter will till it to a depth of at least 6"

But I do like the reasoning, especialy the settling. It's worth trying.

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've never had a lawn "settle" off-grade because we rototilled. We grade, roll, grade, roll, grade, roll and by the time we apply the new sod, it's fairly well compacted already.

10. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I've never had a lawn "settle" off-grade because we rototilled. We grade, roll, grade, roll, grade, roll and by the time we apply the new sod, it's fairly well compacted already

With all due respect...what would be the point of doing all the tilling if you are going to keep rolling?