Sod Cutter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbrabender, Feb 5, 2002.

1. mbrabender

mbrabender LawnSite Member

I am wondering what kind of sod cutter I should purchase and size. I will be starting a landscape curbing buisness. The machine needs to be able to go around curves, which i heard most cutters wont do. It would be nice if i didnt have to pay $3000 for one but thats what it looks like.

2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We are pretty satisfied with our Bluebird. It handles pretty well on turns, and does a good job on the straight away. It was over 3k though.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Moved per author's request.

SCL

Look at a Brown Industries Bed edger. Does more stuff, less money, and steerable. If you must have a sod cutter, look at a company called Turfco.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-05-2002 06:20 PM

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

SCL has a good point - you might be better off with a bed edger - you can throw in a bit to cut into the turf and soil in whatever pattern you want, and it costs less. $2-2.5K

With a sod cutter, even if it makes great turns, you've still only cut the sod, and need to go a little deeper into the soil (I'd think anyway).

The only possible downside is the spoils would have to be addressed - either their deposited in the beds, or you have a tarp to collect the spoils.

5. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have rented the bluebird a couple of times. Seems to work like a charm. I had no problem going around curves.