Sod cutters

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rody, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Rody

Rody LawnSite Member

I am currently starting a new landscaping business and would like to hear what the average sod cutter costs?I have been checking and cant seem to find one less then 2300 is this true...I also seem to like the borderline sod cutter is this a good buy?

2. cody

cody LawnSite Member
    from 6

Look at a Ryan sodcutter Jr.
    It'll run you about $3400.00.
    I couldnt run my business with out at least one.
    Good luck!

3. If you don't want to pay for full price on this kind of equipment, go around the rental yards and see what they have for sale. I wouldn't buy if they don't keep hour records and didn't look nice.

I got a Ryan Jr. for less than $700. Had only 6 hrs of use on it. I bought it from a rental place where the guy was fed up and retired. It came with extra parts also.

John

4. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

thats a steal.

5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

DRMO had one up for bid. Never used but had old fuel in the tank and 'syrup' in the carb float bowl. Went for $150. Cost about $25 for changing all the oils, rebuilding carb and replacing rusted throttle cable.

Still had paint in the belt drive pulley and no use of blade. Good deal turned better with the first 2000 sq. ft of sod cut and delivered at $3.50 per ft.

govliquidation.com is where we look out here for sweet deals. U.S. Gov really knows how to throw stuff away.

6. Z_1

Z_1 LawnSite Member

I jst bought the borderline yesterday. got it at an auction. I wish now that I had bought the curbibg machine to go with it. I'll let you know next week what I think about it. I've used the Ryan machine and It's sweet. I don't think it was a Jr model though

7. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot rents out commercial grade equipment. They have great maintenance logs. The usually sell their gear at about 30%-35% of the cost brand new.

We have had great success with our rentals. If you build a relationship with the rental guys, they would work on your gear for you. My home depot guy, comes by and I give him a few bucks, but he keeps my gear running.

Good luck.

8. Z_1

Z_1 LawnSite Member

Very impressed with the Borderline machine. It's small compact design is exactly what I was looking for, the HOnda 4hp engine is more than capable of powering the machine and it's light enough I can load it in the back of my truck by myself. What a deal!

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering, if you're just starting out, why of all the power equipment there is to purchase are you considering getting a sod cutter? It's not like it's something you're going to be using on a daily basis. If I need one, I just rent it. For smaller jobs I just use my edger to make the vertical cuts and a sharpened square bladed shovel at a low angle to cut the sod. It just seems to me that your money could be better spent elsewhere.

10. Z_1

Z_1 LawnSite Member

Daryl, I've used that same method here for years. I'd suggest buying a sod cutter only if you know your going to have the work to support the expense of a sod cutter. after doing this for 16 years the hard way, I wish I'd commited a long time ago. A few hundred bucks for a good used machine will save your back and some time.