Sod estimate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sancho_man_orlando, May 22, 2007.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

Ok, I gave a sod estimate today and not sure if I charged right... too high... or too low.

It was for approximately 940 sq ft of grass removal and new sod placement.

I estimated it would take me a couple hours to spray with a killer, rake it out 2 weeks later, use one of those handle bar type soil turners to soften up the soil a little bit, rake out the high spots and drop the sod.

I estimated it at $845.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Till the area,rake out the grass and weed,grade with landscape rake,lightly roll with roller ,lay sod,lightly water,roll sod in,water in.
    All done in one day easy for 940 sq ft.That way,you don't make two trips,costing you money.
    Cost depends on sod cost and labor.

3. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

The sod is delivered for $135 a pallet. 2 pallets needed for this job.

The house has an irrigation system. Would tilling damage this if I'm not careful?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Have the homeowners mark the irrigation heads with flags.Be careful around them.The pipes should be deep enough not to damage.Here,the rule is 12" deep.
    Not sure about Florida. The tiller will only dig 4 to 6 inches deep anyway.You can remove grass/weeds from around the heads with a shovel.
    As for cost,135 x 2 =270.That leaves you $585 for overhead,labor and profit,assuming you own a tiller,landscape rake,roller,etc.,,.You and another worker would be plenty on this job.

5. john denver

john denver LawnSite Member

.75 For Front Yard
    .80 To .90 Cents Back Yard
    Example:
    500 Sq. Ft.x.80 Cents =400.00= 1 Pallet
    Dump Cost Extra 10 Per Truck Load
    Sod Cuuter Extra Approx. 85.00

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Just goes to show how pricing is different for everyone. We are anywhere from 1.2 to 1.5 per square. Yes, we are expensive and hence don't do a lot of sod. But I won't make nearly what I need/want at a dollar per square let alone less than a dollar a square.

7. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

We do alot of sod jobs and I suggest at least .65 per ft2. plus you time as an applicator to spray hebicide and that depends on the going rate for your area. Don't cut yourself shy with pricing, it is expensive and for instant gratification make them pay.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your good with that price you did good. As far as tilling the area, its up to you. But I would charge more if i had to till the area. More than likely the pipes arent that deep. Assume that the pipes are right on the surface. If you want to save time and headaches don't till the area. Ps my time for writing this $50 we accept cash/credit cards.