sod going going rate?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC, May 23, 2011.

1. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

Hi what what is the going rate on a sod install for 6,000-16,000SQFT?
    Thanks

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

It takes about 3/4 of a man hour to lay one pallet. With fatigue I'd quote it about one man hour per pallet. That's assuming it's spotted and decent sod that doesn't fall apart (400sqft)

3. PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the reply do you know what the going $ is for sod installs ?
    thanks

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Several ways to go about it. You can do the prep and lay the sod (lowest margin, most work). You can do the prep and most sod companies will throw it down for 20 a pallet. I strongly suggest you are present for any sub work. Or you can have the sod company do the entire thing soup to nuts. I won't do sod for any less than a dollar a square foot. I have gotten every one I bid this year. 38k total so far this year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Property

There are a thousand ways to bid work. I will give only one that is called Formula Bidding. It is simply taking the Sq Ft by a factor to come to a price. Some Formulas are sliding scale according to the number of Sq Ft. The more Sq Ft the less cost per Sq Ft to be competitive.

Formulas are normally or at least should be developed from a cost plus bases and should be broken down by sections.

Patch work with tear out where only certain sections are re sodded go for $ 1.00 to $ 2.00 per sq ft for small patches or a lot of extra hassle like Gated back yards.

Total area resod with Tear out in my area are now going as low as $ 260.00 a 400 sq ft pallet or $ 0.65 a sq ft. Back in better times I got $ 0.75 to $ 0.80 per pallet all day long.

How do you figure the Formula???

It cost me $ 0.15 a sq ft or $ 60 for a 400 sq ft pallet in the field loaded on my then F 7000 Ford that could haul 5,000 sq ft or 10 x 500 sq ft pallets. However I am using 400 sq ft pallets here because that is the standard. By the time I hauled it town or the job I had $ 0.25 cost or $ 100 in a 400 ft pallet. That left $ 0.40 a ft for tear out and sodding. Tear out is 3 times harder that laying the sod so I said $ 0.30 to Tear out and prep the ground and $ 0.10 a Sq ft to lay the sod. If I was charging $ 300 or 320 a pallet $ 0.75 or $ 0.80 a sq ft I used the same 3 to 1 ratio on figuring cost.

At one time there was a lot of Money in sod which BTW is a very hard job. But it takes Heavy Duty equipment to do profitable. Back in the day we specialized on the higher margin, slower volume patch work. New construction kept the Big Boy sod layers too busy to do the smaller jobs and Life in the sod business was good for us. But then came the crash of 2008 and many Surviving Sod Companies are fighting it out for work. I am seeing a little more new construction etc here in Florida. But we are still hurting and it will take Years if we ever get back to the Boom times when the money flowed like water.

6. Patriot Services

Ric brought up a good point I forgot to mention. You also have to factor in rental costs for sod cutters and disposal fees. Having bit the bullet and bought a sod and verti cutter a while back. Those machines are many times paid for and further add to my bottom line. I sold my bobcat last season as it is overkill for the typical 2k sod jobs I get nowadays.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have a dingo with a soil cultivator at my disposal so I only charge about $225 per pallet of Floratam installed and delivery plus tax on the sod. That's assuming I'm paying $100 per 400sqft delivered and spotted. If I need to use the sod cutter, dump trailer, and dump then of course I would have to figure that in. You could always try looking on CL and see what others are getting in your area for SOD work I guess if you're worried about being the cheapest in town.

8. Patriot Services

I never claim I'm to be the cheapest. I warranty mine for 30 days and insist I control water, fert and first couple of cuttings. If they go with us for regular service I go longer. I'm still cutting installs I did 4 years ago. A Dingo-vator would be nice but again overkill for me. The majority have been around 2K front yards only to appease the HOA's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Wow sod is like 150-180 a 500 sqft. pallet round here.:cry:

10. dang man its $110/pallet here.