1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mr.Lawn, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Ok folks here is what i have 54,198 sq ft yard who wants to re sod , How many pallets would i need to buy and how much would be factored into waste???? Thanks
  2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

That would be a 109 pallets. You might want to get a couple extra pallets just to be safe. Depending on the sod farm... you shouldn't have to much waste.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Consider using large rolls or even subbing to a sod farm........the large rolls. Are you having to remove existing sod?? Sounds like it. In that case I would not strip it.........till it, grade it and run a rockhound over it. How are you pricing this job?
  4. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

how many square yards does a pallot cover? ive got thirteen hundred yards to cover. and yeh sod rolls sounds alot better for that much space.
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on when its cut sod can be streched a little when its laid. Spring cut sod you can do this with I'd say order 10% less than you need-you can always pick up another pallet or two if you need it, but its a pita to haul out overordered sod. Around here you can order 50-65 yard pallets, but if the sod is wet and heavy, most you'll get on the pallet is around 50.
  6. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

thanks for the info!
  7. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks folks I love the professional help. Does that much yard sound like iI meaured it wron I just dont know. Thanks Randy
  8. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

A Florida guy is asking simple question like this on place like this.
    Sorry to slam you but why are in the lawn and landscape biz if you cant figure a simple thing like this out?

First you need to pick up the yellow pages and call 2-3 sod companies and ask them how big their pallets are. Here they 400 or 500 sq. ft.
    Do the simple math and add one pallet for mistakes and bad grass.

Second our sod does not come in rolls.

Third you need to know what type of grass you want.

Gee wiz what did everyone do before the web?
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Somtimes I wonder these things myself.... ;)
  10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here, Here!