1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod in a curved area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hosejockey2002, Jul 11, 2004.

1. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone care to share tricks for laying sod in a curved area with a minimum of waste? I was thinking of making pie shaped relief notches every few feet to make the curve. I'm going to edge the sod about 6" out from the rock walls on either side.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

lay it in a straight line. Trim it where necessary where it meets the wall.
  3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

For that project, I'd probably start laying it parallel to the gate, and continue laying it in that direction for the remainder.

Hope you didn't build those walls; they may look decent to an untrained eye, but they don't look too structurally sound to me.....

4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan- thanks for the advice on the sod. I didn't ask for an opinion on the walls, but since you gave me one anyway, yes I did build them, they are structurally sound for the purpose they serve, I am not sure how one can tell whether they are or not by just one picture that doesn't show much detail.;)
  5. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

try laying it diagonally?
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Between numerous bond joints arranged vertically and the numerous large gaps between the rocks, it doesn't look too stable to me. However, if you think it is, you can tell better than I can from just looking at a picture...

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Really doesn't matter Dan. If those walls were actually supporting some weight I might agree with you, but those walls are purely decorative. Give the guy a break.
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, to be honest, those walls don't look structurally solid to me.

And, I'm just kidding.

Why don't you go into the pre-curve area with diagonals.

You'll have waste no matter how you look at it, but I'd come in with diagonals, and lose little triangles off the ends. some of those could get pieced if you get desparate.