sod install help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ChadsLawn, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

OK heres the story. My sister wants new St.Aug sod put down in her front yard. 1319sq feet. She wants whats left of the front removed(little grass, weeds etc.) So I thought about weedwhaking it down to dirt then round up. Wait a couple days then do the sod.
    heres my delema(sp) My dad(use to do lawn maintenance) said he'd charge her $160 to lay down 3.5 pallets of sod.(he cant do to a hole in his throat (cancer) Which from reading a few threads that I did a search on is waaaaaay cheap.
    rant it is family, but I dont want to do hard work for free(mise well be).
    So can you guy\gals give me some help on what I should charge her.

1)shes getting the sod $110 a pallet(not sure the sqft)
    2)Ill be driving about 40 miles round trip.
    3)Dont want my dad pissed at me either(hes helped me alot in the past)
    4)sprinkler system is working

I hope thats all the info you need

Oh Ill be doing it myself

Chad

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

40 miles round trip isnt far at all, knock it out! just make sure she properly waters it!!

3. ChadsLawn

I was just giving all the info I could think of. 40 miles is pretty far in traffic. The traffic in Tampa Fla really sucks. Most of this trip will be on a 1 lane each way road.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

From my personal experiences.....I would do it for free or not at all. Let her buy all the stuff and do the labor at no charge. If she tips you.....take it.

5. ChadsLawn

free ummm no thanks..Family or not, I need to make some $$... I need as well. If I didnt need the money then no problem. But free, find someone else.

6. lovdasnow

lovdasnow LawnSite Member

uhhh, it's family, what goes around comes around....do it for free.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Shes your sister, not your third cousin on your step dads uncles side. Hook a sista up... Do it for free or not at all.

8. ChadsLawn

your right Im not going to do it.I need the money plain and simple

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

well since your not going to do it for free, if she paying 110$ for a pallet of sod its probably a 400 sqft pallet. Which if remember the area should be at least 4 pallets, so 4 pallets would be 400$ to lay not counting prep work 300 for sister dis count(com on). In rearguards to your prep work just weedeating and round-up not the best(it could work). If the grounds hard packed youll need to at least till it up then rake smooth. Using the round-up I would wait at least a week before laying the new sod just to make sure. Good luck to ya!

10. lawnchick17

lawnchick17 LawnSite Member

Have you considered bartering with her for other favors? Have her clean up your shop or do some advertising for you. You will see her appreciation as well!