Sod install job with no topsoil

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by matesusa, May 27, 2003.

1. matesusa

matesusa LawnSite Member

Hello everybody,

Got a question for you guys...

Bidding on sod installation and the site is on gravel pit. no topsoil, very hard and rocky. no lawn, just some weeds. some grading and leveling will be required. area is about 5500sf. couple of trees in the middle with some roots on surface. no steep hills.

Now if i add let's say 4" of topsoil and sod on top of it, it'll raise lawn like 5" above existing sidewalk. how do you guys go about that?
    do you excavate the whole area 5" down before bringing in topsoil and sod???

2. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

4" would be too much topsoil for sodding work. I would go w/an inch or maybe even 2 but no more. If you go more you will suffer too much indifference in height as opposed to the sidewalk as you've already pointed out.

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

excavate the area ..add soil and sod

4. matesusa

matesusa LawnSite Member

DaddyRabbit, you would add just one inch on top of the gravel? i worry if i'd do that, lawn would slowly die off. i don't even know if my tiller would be able to break that gravel little and even if it did what good would it do? nothing grows in gravel, right, so would grass roots even go down in it eventually?
    ground on that property is so hard i can't even stick my screwdriver in it.

5. matesusa

matesusa LawnSite Member

kris, does excavation seems inevitable in this situation?
    and if necessary, what equipment would you rent to do all of it?

6. kris

from nowhere

Use a skid steer ... you mentioned some tree roots .. you may not be able to excavate as deep around those trees. Do what you can.

7. matesusa

matesusa LawnSite Member

what attachment(s) would you use? in my area i can only rent Bobcat 773 with toothed bucket...:cry:

8. kris

from nowhere

Tooth bucket is all you need ... hopefully the 773 has enough power. I jumped in the green houses new 773 yesterday and was not impressed. I would use our 863 ..the biggest we have at the moment for tough digging.

9. matesusa

matesusa LawnSite Member

that's what i'm worried about. that it won't have enough power to excavate that damn packed gravel. thanks a lot for your inputs though, guys.

10. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, no, this is only after prep. I have never installed sod w/out prep work. Sorry for the confusion. Harley Rake=Prep