sod install- roll? fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by trying 2b organic, Jun 29, 2004.

1. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I will ask this since there seems to be some debate. First off I have rolled sod for another company before starting my own biz. We rolled along roads and "prep" had no meaning or place in those jobs. Now, however I am doing sod for high end residential and want to do the very best job possible.

Do you lay fert of any kind on the soil before you sod? Do you water the bottom of the sod or water the roll before laying out? Do you roll the sod after you have laid it? We did none of these things in the old gig and different people have said to do each of them since I started my research.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

NO fert. Roll sod after you roll it to ensure good soil contact. Water that sod in until its sopping wet and after that roll it in really good. Water heavily everyday for the next 2 weeks.

3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

ty for responding, this sod is going into a section of existing lawn, I have learned the hard way that dirt settles. Therefore if I want the sod to be level with existing lawn in a month do I put in enough topsoil to have it and inch or two above level when I am done the instillation or do I roll the soil before I lay sod or a little of both. Even if I roll the topsoil should the sod be above level (with surrounding lawn) when I am done. ty very much.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

How much soil are you talking about? If you are bringing a low spot up to level, and you are using less than 3-4", I wouldn't worry about settling. More than that, and probably the easiest thing for you to do is fill it in, water well to settle it, come back and lay the sod when it's dry. Scratch around on the surface of the soil before you lay sod to break up whatever crust will probably be there.

As for rolling, I've never rolled sod after installation. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, just that I've never done it. And I've laid a lot of sod! I have, however, used a 10"x10" hand tamp to help to level out the bumps that might have been present once the sod was thrown.

Water it well, you should NOT be able to walk across it without sinking up to your ankles once it's been watered.....

Dan