sod install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnshark2420, Feb 22, 2008.

1. lawnshark2420

lawnshark2420 LawnSite Member

can you guys tell me if .60 cents per sq. ft. is about right to install st. augustine (floritam). And how much should a pallet should cost? thanks in advance.

2. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Can I ask how you came up with .60 a sq ft with out even knowing your cost on sod?? I would think this is the most important aspect of finding your cost other than labor.

Matt

3. lawnshark2420

I came up with .60 per sq. ft. by asking a fellow landscaper! And I normally charge $350.00 to $400.00 per pallet, but its usually a small job (4to5 pallets), but now I'm having more demand for sod installation, so i want to price competetively and still make money. And to answer your question i do know what my price is for sod is, im just not sure its a good price?

4. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

If you are charging between $350-400 a pallet you are right around .60 (assuming St Augustine comes 600 sq ft on a pallet) so I would say you are right were you want to be, epically if you are getting your bids/jobs. If you are making $ and have work then it doesn't really matter what you charge.

We actually have 3 prices for sod. Priced from highest to lowest:

Residential - prob easiest type of job to charge higher rates
    Commercial - somewhere in the middle depending on the situation
    Home Builders - they are looking for low bid at all cost (esp w. the economy right now)

As for a price per pallet I am of no help as we lay no St. Augustine, due to obvious reasons, location. Try looking under the Network With People From Your Area for help on seeing what you are paying for sod is in line with others or not. You might also get some additional help on sq ft prices for the FL area.

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The more sod it is the more efficient you will be. I charge more per pallet for 4-5 than 20-40. No one can really answer this question for you b/c we don't know your overhead, your market, your material costs etc.

6. lawnshark2420

thanks for your help guys! I found the sod for $70.00 per 400 sq. ft. I'm installing 19,000sq. ft. I think I've got it all figured out. I can only get this price buying it by the tractor trailer load.

7. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

Wow $70 for a pallet of St. Aug. That is great. I gave a bid to a customer and we are doing the job 1st week in April. One pallet of St. Aug. (450 sq ft) was 173.50. We can't even get centipede that cheap up here in NW Fl ($110-120). I could probly triple or quadruple my sod jobs at that price.

8. LawnPro Hsv.

LawnPro Hsv. LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

hey guys. i have always heard that you can lay sod year round and down here in alabama that is usualy possible since it never snows. if i lay bermuda now (feb.) i know it will stay dormant until spring. but when is the best time to lay sod of any kind?

9. Elden

Elden LawnSite Member

LawnPro, I don't know where you are but I am in LA, Lower Alabama, otherwise known as the Florida Panhandle. LOL. Anyways. From what I have reasearched and heard from reputable sod farms is that spring, early summer, and early fall are the best times to lay sod. Lay it too early and risk a freeze to kill the non-existant root system. In the middle of summer sod requires alot more water to stay alive because of the shallow root system. I have been told a good rule of thumb is when the soil temps. average 65 degrees for one week.

10. LawnPro Hsv.

LawnPro Hsv. LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

thanks Elden, i am in north alabama. i thought those would be the best times but wasn't for sure. i do a few flower beds a every year but haven't laid very much sod.