1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ACA L&L, Apr 26, 2008.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This week was a good week. We had three sod installs priced at $3 a sq ft. toataling 2000 sq ft. All were front yards. All were small to say the least. two needed valves replaced(bonus) and all three needed new timers installed. One day removing all the old grass and minor prepping. One day installing.

Two guys total.
    All paid with smiles and a mait. contract!

All were booked last week, one after the other. It was unreal. I cant remember the last time i nailed three jobs in a row let alone three in a day.
    Picked up two more installs as we were doing these.

3 pallets of park blend $516.00
    labor $400
    sod cutter $100
    dump fees. $21
    3 timers $120
    valves $100

billed about $6400
    cost $1300

take home $5000

:walking: I felt blessed to say the least

Anyone else get lucky on a few small jobs like this.....
  2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job. It seems you are doing a good job selling. Selling the job is very important thing that a lot of guys forget.

FIREPOWER LawnSite Member
    from SW Ont

Nice! Ok I have a question about sodding....Customer has 50x75 (3750 sq') backyard. He wants the old turf stripped and removed. 4" topsoil -38 yards = 2'' deep so times two is 76 yards-4". 400 rolls of sod @ 2'x5' = 4000 sq'. How many man hours do I charge for removal, soil installation and sod installation? 3 guys. I guess i should rent a skid for this puppy. This is my first sod job...;)

This is what I came up with for tentative price:

76 yards topsoil @ $40 per yard= $3040
    Delivery $300
    Sod $800
    Skid rental $300
    Dump fee $300
    Plus 20%
    Total materials:$5688

Now times that by 2 ? = $11,379
    (roughly $3 a foot like above)

Is that enough or too much ? how long do you guys think this will take from stripping to leaving ? 3 guys.
  4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i wish i could sell sod at $3 per square foot.
    I could pay off all of my debts...
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

not to shabby!
  6. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm at $1 until I hit 1500 sq ft, then I drop to $.90. No hatin, just jealous!! Good job!!
  7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm wondering as to why he wants the old turf removed if you're going to be topdressing with 4" of topsoil? We always spray existing with glyphosate, topdress, and sod. This eliminates a large part of the labor, ensuring that we get the job as well as being fair and honest to the client.

If you proposed $11k for that job to me at my house, I'd laugh you right out of the door and go with the guy who was bidding $8 or $9k, which is what I believe is a bit more realistic for the scope of the work you're outlining.

Just my .02.
  8. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

In my area $1.50 with prep is about average $3 and I would be a loballer @2.50 and be loaded
  9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

How busy are you?? Is $3 a sq ft fair. It is if your that busy and they really want your company to do it. I used to charge $1 or $2 a sq ft some 5-7 years ago. we are swamped. $3 bucks a sq ft is a steal. Here anyway.