Sod installation bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by McNeal Lawn, Jan 31, 2003.

1. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

A long time customer has built a new gas station, the site is ready for sodding, he has ask me to submit a bid to provide and install the sod. The site will require minor site preps for sodding which I have arranaged to be sub contracted out. There are numerous beds to work around, but the majority of the area to be sodded is fairly open. I have caculated that 1700 sq yds of sod will be required. This would be the largest job I have undertaken, I certainly don't want to come up short on my bid.
    I am uncertain of my estimate of manhours required to install the sod, am I under estimating these manhours of 100? Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Site preps $2600 Sod costs $3310 Labor $3100
    total bid $9100.

2. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Thats not minor.........?

3. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

1700 sq yard is about 15,000 sq. ft

$2600.00 is NOT minor site preps first off.

My Estimate:

Sod cost (15500 sq. ft. incl waste + mark-up) = $3300.00
    Labor (2days @ 3men or 48 man hrs) = $2160.00
    Site Preps: unknown $$$

TOTAL : about $5500.00 + site preps.

4. devildog

from sc

SQUARE YARDS.....!

5. devildog

from sc

I had to read it twice......

6. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of sod can you buy for .20 sq yard. It would seem to me that the sod price is the only one that might even be close.

There is obviously a difference of opinion as to what minor site prep is. I would think that for an area of 1700 square yards, paying over $2000. 00 would leave a site ready to lay with nor further prep. Our crew could easily lay 1700 yards of sod in less than 25 man hours, assuming the palletts are unloaded reasonably close to the areas to be sodded.

There is definately things in several of the previous posts that don't add up

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

7. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Doug I am with you on the time to lay that sod. I usually figure about 80 yards per man per hour and that includes "minor site prep" (raking out minor imperfections). Don't know the price of sod in your area but the supplier does. Site prep sounds high to me for minor work but everybodies idea of minor is different.

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I am on the money w/ Bryan. 15,500 @.35/sqft installed =$5425.00
    Site prep should be 1 day w/ man on skid steer & poss. 1 laborer 1/2 day (add $550.00) Bid price $6000.00 even
    Add more only if there are disposal fees and travel time for dump.

As far as time 2 men 1.5 days max for sod installation if pallets are spotted properly.

Bob

9. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's inputs, your comments are very helpful. Maybe my wording of "minor site preps" was decieving, regardless of that, the $2600 for site preps prior to sodding is what the sub contractor quoted, his preps will include fine grading, the sod will be fescue, which was the only price I was close on, I will use your manhour estimates to install 1700 square yards as a guide to fine tune my bid. Thanks again.

10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

What is he going to do exactly? I charge $400 a day for my tractor/time for finishing grading, surface prepped, pulverized. Can you spend more than a day on 1/2 acre?