1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod Installation TIme Estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hdbluedeuce, Sep 10, 2004.

1. hdbluedeuce

hdbluedeuce LawnSite Member

Have been asked by a maintenance customer to price renovating their entire yard next year with Zoysia Sod. I already have figures for all of the prep work and cost of the sod, but having never laid any sod, I was looking for time estimates and "best practices" suggestions to make the sod installation go as quickly and efficiently as possible. The job will require about 11,000 sq. ft. of sod which will be delivered on pallets (54 sq ft/pallet) in 1 yard rolls.

I was thinking of using a skid steer with one man operating full time (to move sod around) and then two additional men (one to drop and roll out sod, second to pull dropped piece tight). Is there a better method to install, possibly utilizing more men, to reduce overall installation time? How long should I allow (time wise) per pallet based upon your suggested installation method?

Thanks in advanced for input and suggestions.
  2. hdbluedeuce

Any information that could be provided on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
  3. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

When the sod is delivered, it is usually dropped at different spot around the yard. Don't see where you would really need a skid steer for this...

Also, they come in 54 sq. yards or sq. feet to the pallet?

Some sod companies have a crew that comes out and lays it as well? Have you thought of maybe going this route? Just have the site prepped and you don't even touch the sod, however you make a little mark up on it...

4. hdbluedeuce

You are correct; it should have read 54 sq. yds to a pallet and not sq. feet. Sorry for the confusion.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

On big jobs they have a roll attachment I've seen on Bob-Cats (skidsteers) that allows you to just back up and let it roll off. I have seen so many poor installs though out here because the guys didn't bother to roll it or keep it damp while installing and then all the edges show. Washed sod will take root faster, make sure to include the cost of a starter fertilizer as well. Here's some more info if you need it.