1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod installation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick17, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I am going to be installing sod at my house. It's a 60'x15' area of straight, level ground.

When is the best time to re-sod? I looked into renting a auger/aerator and they were about $44 for 4 hours.

I'd have to do this by my-self, as my parents aren't physically able to do this type of work.

What do you think it would cost for sod for this area? Would I need a pallet or more?

And finally, what would it cost for someone else to install the sod, and aerate the lawn?

Thanks for your help,

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't exactly know a lot about sod. It would cost about $130 to get the sod here where I am from. I don't think I would aereate, I think I would till it up. Aereating is typically used for reseeding. Late Auguest through early October is the typical time to put it down. Sod takes a lot of water, so you want to make sure that it is cool enough out to that the yard won't dry out.
  3. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

So would I need about a pallet to do that area?

What does it usually cost for a tiller for a few hours?

Thanks again,

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to use st augustine (floritam) it will cost about $200, and if you use Bahia (not recommended) it will be about $100. Each pallet will be about 500 square feet, so you will need about 1 1/2 pallets.
  5. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

st augustine is 65$ per pallet from a sod farm for a green industry pro,not the public ,400 square feet per pallet . to pay a company to do it you may have a 3 pallet min. to get them to throw it,at 135 per pallet plus labor figure 200 per pallet installed
  6. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I was aiming for St. Augustine...

Paul, is there any way I could get those prices? Approx. how many pieces are on a pallet?

7. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

lawnman, 3/4 of our grass is Bahia, and is bright green and I've had no problems all year around. Except for the right side of the house which WAS St. Augustine, and got over-ran by weeds..

Should I do the rest of the yard with Bahia too? We have a mix of shade and direct sun..

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $250 a pallet for St augustine delivered and installed.
    Pallets are 400 square feet +/-. You will have to buy 2 pallets unless you want to checkerboard the sod in some areas.

Around me you can get sod delivered for $130-140 per pallet. That is dropped off in your driveway. I think they have a 4 pallet minimum or price goes up.

If you don't have irrigation you better stay with Bahia.
    Tilling is the way to go, preferably you would kill off what is there a week before then till, then use a starter fert on the SOIL, then lay the sod, then water like crazy. Water for at least an hour as soon as it is down, then 30 minutes each morning and 30 minutes each evening as the heat starts dropping. Keep this up for 2 weeks.

Sounds like your St augustine didn't get enough water.
  9. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I helped the guy install the irrigation on our house. My parents were really cheap about using water on the grass until just recently, when I got into the business.

I try and water twice a week for 1.2hrs total time. The left side (3/4 bahia when from brown, to full lush green grass over the summer. Also, the left side where the Bahia is, there's not one single weed in the yard.)

The neighbor has TONS of weeds which I think spread to the St. Augustine and killed it.

So, I'm left with the option to re-sod or wait it out. I am going to re-sod it when I get some money together.

Thanks for everyone's input!