Sod Installation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blankenshiplawncare, Oct 21, 2004.

1. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a good price to estimate on sod installation. Not the ground prep but the price of labor to install a pallet of sod. The pallets of Centipede I get are 504sqft.

Thanks in advance

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  2. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

we normally charge 50 per pallet to install as long as there is no prep work..but we that is a mimuim of 10 pallets..we use st,augstine here it is about 110 per pallet, if we prep and do the whole 9 yards we 300 per pallet installed , so about 190 for labor and tiller and roundup

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

I heard from a light excavation contractor that he charges $1.25 per square yard. This includes the equipment he uses, the sod, everything. personally, i did a ~450 sq. ft. yard for $625 and i hated that i priced it so low. If i have to do it again, i will go close to $1.5 next time.

hope this helps.

4. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to both of you for your response. I am a little low on what I was thinking. This is pretty normal for me. I will adjust my pricing to reflect the advise.

Phil

5. Smithers

Blanken,

Do you do fall cleanups? How much do you charge? I know in savannah (i am from Florida) the lots must be bigger than the lots here in Mi. But i just wanted to see if you do that.

This is my first year doing cutting and now i am starting to do fall cleanup, but dont know what to charge. I have an Exmark with a UltraVac in the back.
    i charge $22-$30 per cut for grass in the summer.

6. excell

excell LawnSite Member

Hey, a fellow Detroiter.

The cutting price is about right. Unless your in the Palmer Woods area then you would have to price alot higher, due to the size of the property.

How ever a fall clean up for a customer( receiving service on a regular basis) I would charge around 125.00 cleaning out flower bed, etc. Go on from there, keeping in mind TIME. Time is $$$$$.

7. Smithers

Hi Excell,

I really apprecite your posting. It is one thing to "hear" the opinion of a guy who cuts lawns from Oregon, but it's totally different to hear a person that does business in your area.
    No, i do work in Livonia/Farm Hills area. none of my clients are rich. They are mostly retired. Speaking of them, i am a part timer and have only 3 clients that will want the fall cleanups.

I would like to get more clients for the fall cleanups to justify my UltraVac attachment for my eXmark that i just purchased. However, i am having hard time finding clients. I put an ad in the paper, but no hits. not even one call. I would really hate to get ~280 from the 3 customers when the UltraVac costs $1600.

any ideas? door to door does not work. word of mouth is best, but it's hard when you have only 3-4 regular clients. This is my first year, by the way. thanks a lot.

George

8. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Blankenship:
    For St. Augustine (floratam) & centipede sod we get $.30 per SQFT installed

9. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

Install one pallet of sod with ground already prepared--$100.

10. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I hate doing sod. I quote 1.00 per square foot, they can take it or leave it. Surprisingly, I get a lot of 1 to 2 pallets jobs though. 1.00 sf includes remove, prep, and install.