Sod Installment

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Decoste76, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Decoste76

Decoste76 LawnSite Member
    from MASS

How much are you looking at to have about 2,000 sq ft of sod installed. This includes the removal of the old lawn.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There are way too many factors, abut doing a good job, to just say anything, about price. What do you mean remove the old lawn? What sort of soil is left behind?

3. Decoste76

Decoste76 LawnSite Member
    from MASS

well it would have to be sliced out/removed and i would put some good top soil on it.. just looking for a ball park estimate

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A sod cutter rental here is about 75 and I would need one person's help for a full day, with a truck. That's 2 trucks going with a lot of weight somewhere, multiple trips. He would need 150 and his truck needs 100 depending on mileage, and I would need around 300, @ cut-rate prices. So I would have to say around 800 - 1000, just for sod removal.

My suggestion, kill it, till it, ammend it and sod it. Even if it takes you into springtime. Sod easily establishes in the spring without pre-m.

5. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

$2,000 for the entire job extremely rough guesstimate.

I have no idea why people think they need to remove the old lawn for a sod job, it is so much more work and often completely unnecessary. Small axe is right with his advice.

6. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'd bring in about half dozen goats and have all the grass gone in three days if I keep them rotated. Two of my drunk uncles would show up on a saturday and begin sodding. They'd be long gone but I'd finish up aboot five days later. All the sod would be burned up by now and I'd ***** at you for not watering. Youd owe me about 1300 and I stole your air compressor from your garage.