sod installs maybe dirt cheap

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawn dogg, Oct 13, 2007.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I just started installing sod think im too cheap on prices . 1.15 per yard excluding sod what do you all think. where should i be .
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

no one can tell you what YOU should charge.

figure how much it costs YOU then add percent profit.

if you are going to go anywhere in business you should know your cost of doing business. If you know this figure, you will never again have to ask how much to charge.. then the question will become who long should it take.... because you know your per hour cost including all overhead. then you multiply your average time by your hourly rate and you come up with the price.

we charge $2.00/yard for labor. This includes NO prep.
  3. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

Been in business 15 years just started sod .thanks for your help
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

We charge base $3 a yard for labor, not including prep. It all depends on what kind of sod you have, where the pallet is dropped at. Alot of cutting and fitting?
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

then you should know that someone else cannot tell you what YOU should be charging.... SHAME ON YOU....LOL
  6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

around here there is no way we can compete with the sod farms. i think they are around $1.85 a yard, sod included. doesn't matter if it is big rolls or little rolls.
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It costs $0.30 per square foot wholesale up here just to buy it.
  8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I've found. I just always either send them there or sub it out & tack on a little for me.
  9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

yep, there are about 10 sod companys within 10 miles of me. can't compete with that.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

same here there is a farm here that i bid against and they would lay for 900 and that is what i would have to pay JUST for the sod. have found that i can have them do it and make a little money it. honestly they did it more efficiently. they had a riding roller and 10 people laying 10 pallets in about a hour. but my rate is $.31 sqft commercial and $.41sqft residential but like they say depends on what you pay . all i have laid is fescue that i get for $.21 sqft hell i may be tooo cheap