SOD... It up and down

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TSpeciaLized, Apr 7, 2005.

1. TSpeciaLized

TSpeciaLized LawnSite Member

Need a little pricing help!! This lady wants her old sod taken out and new laid. The lawn is very small only 537 sq feet. There will be 2 guys doing it, $ split 50/50. I have access to a sod cutter, i have the trailer to pick up new sod and the top soil. I know it sounds stupid but i will not be tilling it. Owner does not want it done. I explained all the benefits, but still she was having none of it....so be it i say! Thats all we'll be doing, that includes irrigation. Oh, the drive time to and from job site and to dump are short, i can figure in that expense. The price to dump old sod will be around 25 bucks. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

cut the sod

put it in the trailer

lay down new topsoil

rake and relay the sod

presto sod job done with half th cost, then you can make 25% ontop of the 50% that you would make to begin with

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I usually go around $1.00 per square foot. I get it for $0.14 per square foot, then add in all the expenses and labor, and you're looking at around $537.
    just a ballpark I always use, although each job may be more or less.

4. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

How Long does it take you to roll or lay a pallet (450 sq ft) by hand?

Thanks, Matt

5. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

me and a buddy layed 2 pallets of sod in a afternoon while enjoying a few brewskis and brats.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if the pallets are close to where they are to be laid, you'll lay around a pallet an hour at first, but by the end of the day it will be less.

7. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $125 per pallet to install. Prep work, delivery etc is extra.

8. avernon0112

avernon0112 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

9. RPMLawnCare

RPMLawnCare LawnSite Member

I can't compete with the guys who do sod for a living, but 150/pallet of st augustine with no ground prep (just show up and throw it down) is competitive around here.

Ground prep is more money. Sod cutting is labor intensive.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to charge at least 50 dollars per hour per man. Laying sod is skilled labor, right? Removing sod, too. And labor, where you have to sweat, get dirty or risk injuring your back costs more. Add delivery and travel time in gas is at least 27 cents per mile plus driver's labor rate, CDL professional truck driver costs more.

Sod cutting machine? You have to charge machine time or rental for that--even if you own it and rent it to yourself. It is something the customer does not own--and many other companies do not own--no need to compete pricewise.

And allow for damage to irrigation that must be repaired. And allow for the chance of callbacks. Sometimes the customer forgets to irrigate. Allow for the chance that she will not pay--and possible collections expense.

And every hour of labor must include a charge for overhead, a few percent for rent, heat, light, insurance, stamps, phone, garbage, and your new laptop. Take last year's overhead costs and divide by the total number of hours worked last year to find how much you need to add per hour to cover your overhead expense.

Of course, you have to compete price wise with other companies. This is where a good sales pitch comes in. It is your job to convince the customer you will do a better job, and its worth paying a bit more for a top-quality job.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015