Sod Job...Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Sasquatch52, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Sasquatch52

Sasquatch52 LawnSite Member

Ok, one of my weekly customers has asked me to give her a price on giving her a whole new lawn. She has fescue right now, but she wants me to put in 419 bermuda. Its not a huge yard. I measured it out....I tried breaking down the yard into rectangles or squares. Then multiplyed the secions length X width...correct?

My question is, i came up with 7,010 sq. ft. Then, dont you take that number and divide it by 500 ( the 500 is representing 500 square feet per pallet of sod) and that should tell you how many pallets to buy, correct or not??? Well, my calculator shows 14.2 pallets of sod. But it does not seem like the yard would need 14 pallets!

For example, the front yard is 68' long and 30' wide. That means there is alittle over 2000 sq. ft., so that means the front yard needs 4 pallets of sod? The front yard just does not look like it would take 4 pallets! I am confused! I have layed my fair share of sod in my days, but that was when i was working for someone else who figured out the math.

Does this sound around the ballpark? Last question, this might help me picture it better, on average how wide and long can 1 pallet be spread? Example: 50'X60'....I dont know? Please, Please Help. I need to get a quote together for this lady. Thanks :confused:

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

how many sq yards come on a pallet. here in stl its 40 - 60 deoending on type of grass .

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i came up with 14 pallets but i would oder extra never know what you will run into.
  4. Sasquatch52

So you think that sounds about right? Again, how many feet length by width can a pallet be spread?
  5. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing to do is call the sod supplier and ask them how many sqft are on a pallet. The pallets that I get usually have 500-600sq ft of sod.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

They must make it tough on you, we just tell them the Sq. ftg and they send it on out. But seriously I would be more concerned of the clients choice of 419, thats a great fairway turf meant to be cut at 3/8"-3/4" with a reel mower. You cut it with a rotary for a season in that humidity I would think you are going to have all kinds of fungus problems. I get my fair share of new clients because someone is cutting a tiffway or tiffgreen with a rotary mower and it looks bad. The clients just cant figure out whats up it looked so nice in the brochure. I would recommend a midiron. Ill give you that fescue is crap but 419 is a high maint. turf. I would order about 5% more than you think you need.
  7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

A 5' wide by 100' long section of lawn is 500 sq ft. The square footage always seems low to me until I actually take the measurements
  8. Sasquatch52

Thanks guys, I will recommend to the lady that she needs a more common bermuda. Or maybe even a Zoysia. In my area most all pallets are 450-500 sq. ft. It just seemed like 14 pallets was too much, but i guess its not.

Thanks guys for the info.

Anyone else got any advice for me?

Everything is greatly apprieciated!
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if its 7000 then just tell you supplier and they'll do the rest. My supplier delivers for free if its over 5 or so pallets (700sqft) per pallet.

with only 500sq feet per pallet you can EAISLY do that in 15min with 2 guys
  10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I install and maintain Tifway 419 all the time.You won't have a fungus problem other than from overwatering at the wrong times.I also cut them with a Toro ZTR.Stripes great at 2".
    Pallet here is 450 sq ft/50 yards.Order one extra pallet to be on the safe side.Usually there are alot of scrap pieces or pieces that aren't cut at the correct depth.Make sure to line up the pieces so the beveled edges meet correctly.Water and roll the sod for good soil contact.
    Fertilize with 1lb of N per 1000 sq feet,once per month during the growing season.Start the mowing season at 1-1.5" and keep it that way as long as possible.You'll have to raise the height around August to prevent scalping.SHould be around 2-2.25" by first frost.