Sod Job/ Question?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by andy'slawncare, May 2, 2007.

1. andy'slawncare

andy'slawncare LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    I have a pretty small sod job this coming Saturday. The yard is 1800 sq ft and the sod is already ordered. Anyways what do you recommend i tell the customer for watering the new sod. Water it every night for two weeks or not? Also what kind of fertilizer if any should i put on the new sod after installation.
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

i put down milorganite before because it doesnt burn and it is a slow relese which helps the lawn come in really thick and green.Depending on how hot the weather is i would water in morning and evening being carefull not to soak it. and cintinue that till it comes in thick and is holds.

3. andy'slawncare

well i get all my fertilizer from Lesco probably call them today to see what to put down from there product selection. Any other hints for sod this is going to be the first time i do it for someone have helped out family member do there yards before.
    andy

4. andy'slawncare

Just wondering what you guys ask money wise. Do have the customer pay for like half of the job before you start or just get it all when you complete the job?

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If I've got acceptance confirmation I do not worry about a small quick job such as this when it comes to dealing with deposits. Maybe I'm just too trusting......

Water once a day for 20-30min for 2 weeks and then a regular 3 days a week watering schedule if they have irrigation. Avoid walking on after watering as deviations in the prepared surface may occur.

I do NOT warranty sod as it is a very perisable product. I install it the same day it is cut in a healthy condition. The only reason it would die is if the customer does not care for it, water.

If needed I broadcast Leaf Gro compost over the prepared surface prior to laying sod.

Important to lay sod tightly or the edges dry out and turn brown. Once I complete an install I soak the sod....not sprinkle with water. You want to make sure the water soaks through the sod and moistens the soil under it,

6. andy'slawncare

thanks tthomass for the help i will remember that when we lay the sod Saturday morning. I have two friends helping me out its only three pallets i am think we should be able to get it done in less than two hrs.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

good luck!