Sod Job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hookem, Feb 9, 2001.

1. hookem

hookem LawnSite Member

How is it going Fellows,

I recently got a sod job where I will be laying 30,000 sq. ft. of fescue. I would like to know how you guys would charge and what you would charge not including the price of the sod, but rather the installation per piece(they don't sell it in rolls around here) and labor costs. Just to make you fellows jealous, I got a sun-burn today doing a landscaping job. The weather has been awesome in Chattanooga, TN. Thank you for any comments and advice.

2. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Hey 'hookem'

I guess I would charge by the hour for grade work and prep work. I have tried it both ways: by the hour and by the square foot. Do you have to work out a contract price or is it cost plus?

If it's cost plus I just would work by the hour. You can't loose that way. Bill for the tractor, man hours raking and preparing, etc...

If it's contracted figure your time and figure it a little heavy. Then divide it by the total square footage.

Sometimes people see the big picture, sometimes they don't. By dividing the cost by the suare foot sometimes this makes it seem cheaper to them.

Good luck.

I'm in Murphy, NC about two hours east of you. Man the weather is perfect. With weather like it has been, we can make some real good money early.