SOD job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassmedics, Aug 19, 2007.

1. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

Ok, i had a guy come up to me today while i was mowing, and asked me to put a bid in on removing and installing new sod on his complete yard. Well just for the front yard i got a total of 249 feet long, and 82 feet wide, multiplying that together i get 20418. First i think i did my conversion wrong for sqare feet. Second the back yard is prolly close to the same. Third HELP! LOL this would be my first big sod job. i will have to rent a sod cutter obviously, and i can get a pallet for about $116 that only covers 400 sqare feet though. Any info would be much appreciated:confused:

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think you would kill yourself using a sod cutter for that big of a job. I would rent a dingo or bobcat w/ a harley rake. Are you planning on measuring the backyard?

3. grassmedics

i will measure the back yard, but i think once i give him an estimate on the front hes gonna back out. So a backhoe with a dingo rake? i have never run a backhoe with a harley rake, are they hard?

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

A sod cutter won't do this job justice. Think bigger and if you're gonna do the job, spray it out NOW!! Kill off what is existing. Then rent a bobcat and rake/scarify the hell outta it for prep. Bring in any soil to grade if needed. Figure your sod square footage and lay away.

5. grassmedics

ok, so ive never bid a job like this can anyone give me a rough estimate on the dimensions i've given?

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would probably bid around 11-12k for the front. It would take me two days... one for prep and one for laying the sod. If you don't have access to 3-4 laborers, I wouldn't even think about doing it.

7. grassmedics

hmmm, ok, anyone else?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we would also be in the $12K range for the front.

save yourself a lot of raking.... as another her said, roundup the yard, but instead of a harley rake, use a cultivator.

9. grassmedics

the 12k, is that for rental removal and install?

10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I will do it for $12,313.00 to be exact and that it is to take out old and put in new.
    We have a large landscaping company in Tampa. Been in business for 16 years.
    PM me and I will send you all my info to you.