1. S & J Landscape-Const.

S & J Landscape-Const. LawnSite Member

I'm doing a sod job but they r paying for soil and sod what do i charge for laying 21 pallets of sod and spreading soil.
  2. lawnfreak

lawnfreak LawnSite Member

$1050 minimum labor only just to lay sod. Thats if you can sit the pallets of sod right next to where you are going to lay it and have a machine that you can move the pallets around with. This is based on 50 yds on each pallet. Then you need to charge extra for the dirt-work. The going rate for dirt-work around here is $85 an hour to spread the dirt with a skid-steer. If you have to haul the sod a long distance and or have to move it by hand and wheelbarrow you should charge more. Typically 21 pallets of sod can be laid in about 6 hours with three guys including cutting in and clean-up if you have a machine to move the sod around with.
  3. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

$1050.00 ? My lord. At that you're only charging 50 bucks a pallet. I understand that they bought the sod and all that but dude. Around NW GA, and this isnt just me, that sod wouldnt be touched for less than $175 per pallet, and thats on the LOW LOW end! More like 200-225 would be very fare! Glad this area of GA isnt working for that cheap, man there wouldnt be anyone in this buisness then.
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

$4200 jus to lay the sod. Dirt work $75-85/hr.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow! were lucky to get $100 per pallot laid! Dam i wish i could get 200+
  6. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

$125 a pallet around here. Any skidsteer work is $75 an hr...........:usflag:
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Yeah $200 for labor only on a pallet of sod?? Maybe for 1 or 2 pallets but not 20. I call bull.
  8. Lawnworks

from usa

You don't lay too much sod do you? Might want to stick w/ grass cutting.
  9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds realistic. yea, the $1050 number is crazy. Too bad you couldn't sell them the sod!
  10. Lawnworks

from usa

I don't think your number is that far off. I guess it just depends on how booked up you are. It sounds like you actually bid against people. I think some people on this site bid things like it is a weekend job or something... and I guess it probably is. The machine like you said is key. It is amazing how much faster you can lay sod when you can keep move them along with you. It usually takes about 20 man hours for me to lay 20 pallets of sod.