Sod Mark Up

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mr.Lawn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hey folks, what is the mark-up your charge for sod???? Thanks Peace out Randy

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sod cost times 2

3. davemanou812

davemanou812 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I charge whatever the price per pallet is + 85.00 to lay the pallet. Any removal or any more prep than a once over with a rake is extra.

4. prefectionist

prefectionist LawnSite Member

I pay 1.47 per sq ft. for sod cost for Central Illinois plus deposit on the pallets. Then I charge my customers 2.90 sq ft for the sod and labor. You can lay it down fast if you have the right crew. I usually have two throwing down and one unrolling. It goes quick. Hope this helps.

5. prefectionist

prefectionist LawnSite Member

I Guess I Should Say That Doesn't Include The Finish Grade. Only Sod installed. Then we clean up any scraps from cutting in or around things. PLUS when its hot out I set up all their hoses so the sod doesn't die.

6. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Here in J'ville. The going rate is 250 per pallet. That includes the grass and labor. Actually, just finished a 2 pallet yard, charged her 450.
    Jay

7. brocksdiesel

brocksdiesel LawnSite Member

here in Texas we get 50 - 60 per pallet after sod cost. I figure at the most a pallet per man per hr. with no prep just throwing the grass. figure an hr. for clean up and rolling yard.

8. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just to clarify... the labor also includes getting rid of the old grass. On the last job, this was the breakdown: 225 for 2 pallets of St. Augustine Floratam, tiller rental (from another LCO) 25 and about 10 contractor bags. Net was 200.

9. Chadevergreen

Chadevergreen LawnSite Member

perfectionist, I hope you mean sq. yd.

10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I have a couple of thoughts, Truly Bueatiful Lawn Care, I dont know how much you pay for your sod but i would look at your number. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You charge 250 per pallet for 450 to 500 sq ft of sod, what does your installation include? That price is only to lay the sod right. Not to dig it up or to grade anything right? I hope.

Then the Prefectionist, I understand that you live in a different place, but dude your saying you get $1450 per 500 sq ft to install a pallet of sod? LOL Im moving right next door to you, and I'll be your sub. How do you come up with that ridiculous price?