Sod Needed for Job????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimsLandscaping, Jul 22, 2001.

1. JimsLandscaping

JimsLandscaping LawnSite Member

How do i figure out home much sod i need for a job, I no its a stupid question but and how would you charge to price the job and so on..

Thanks

Jim

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure the area to be covered, length x width (in feet). Divide by 9 to determine sq. yards. Sod is sold in one sq. yard rolls, normally. The price depends on the size of job and the amount of prep work to be done. Tell us more about the job and maybe we can narrow down the price a bit.

3. Lanelle

Not necessarly a true statement. In the west, most sod is sold in rolls of 9 square ft.

Jim, other than that comment on that statement, Lanelle statement is true.

As to price, at least to give you an example, me, I work at from $1.50 thru $1.85 a per square foot.

John

4. Lanelle

Nine square feet? Isn't that one square yard?

5. JimsLandscaping

JimsLandscaping LawnSite Member

Alright thanks for ur replys guys helped a lot!
    :D

6. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

you get $1.50 per square foot for installed sod where are you installing on the moon??????????

7. Lanelle

Our prices are also lower. For a smallish job of at least one pallet of sod, $4.50/yd. Large jobs have lower prices.

8. carl28
    By that statement, do you mean this in a negative light or are you impressed. If impressed by that price, DON'T BE. I live in the second highest cost of living area in the U.S.

9. Lanelle,
    Sorry, brain is fried today. I was thinking in terms of cubic, instead of sqaure.
    John

10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

This brings us to another good point. When getting pricing advice, it's best to get it locally. Quoting $1.50 a sqft in IL would likely end any meeting with a client promptly, followed by their bootprint in your behind.

But for sod pricing, if you run a search through old threads, I think this horse has been beaten to death over the last couple months. Prop it up and see if it can still walk.