Sod Not looking Well

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Aug 17, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I just did a 5000 sq, ft sod job.

Tilled the soil, threw down fertilizer, and laid the sod. The sod in the shaded areas is looking great.

The sod in the front yard is browning out pretty good in the full sun and low humidity we've had lately, and I'm afraid it's not going to make it. How long and how bad can it get before it snaps back, or is it too far gone.

I'll post a pic tonight after I go check it out again. Also, it has been watered very well every day since laid last Wed.
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

This is one time overwatering is desireable IMO.

Summer sod can stay soggy all day long if necessary and survive. We had a good example of that last summer.
  3. socallawndude

socallawndude LawnSite Member

Out here in the land of the blazing sun I can tell you seldom is it ever too far gone, pretty common in my neck of the woods. If it's only been since wed. you should be fine, just soak the hell out of it.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

is the new sod being irrigated?
  5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll third the watering. We just laid 10 pallets this past week in full sun and you can SOAK it in the morning but by afternoon, it's looking crisp again.

The full sun and low humidity will take it's toll...even though it feels really great!
  6. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

What type of sod is it ? If its Bermuda its got a great chance of making it. Depending on the sod it may , some are more Hardy than others.
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

water water water...if youre not watering it you need to make sure the customer is or it will die
  8. White Gardens

The Deal was that I have been at a local festival advertising my bus the last three days, so my mother-in-law, and sister-in-law have been watering it for me. (I got lucky as they only live 5 blocks away from this sod job)

I got a call from the mother law stating that the sod looked bad and was turning brown pretty badly. They kept up on the watering extremely well too.

I went last night at the end of the festival, and the sod looks great. I do have a few brown patches, but I'm starting to get green grass that is starting to show up in the spots, so it didn't die.

Thanks for the replies, I just freaked out sat. night and posted, not knowing if I had some other issues besides watering, and without actually looking at it.

I'm so relieved, I charged extra for the job to help water the lawn. The gentleman doesn't live there, the house is empty, and on top of it he is getting ready for school this year. (teacher)

I know there is no guarantee on sod, but I strive to do every job as good as the last.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Man, I would have waited another three weeks before doing the install... the turf would not have gotten nearly so stressed. I also like to add compost to jobs like that before laying the sod, it seems to help a lot with water retention.
  10. White Gardens

Oh, I agree Whitey, would of been much better to wait.

Ultimately they want the house on the market in the next week, so It needed to be done sooner than later.

Of course, house flips come with budgets too...:wall