Sod or Seed a new lawn???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GrassMan2005, Feb 9, 2005.

1. GrassMan2005

GrassMan2005 LawnSite Member

We just moved into our new house and our backyard is bare. The builder sodded the front yard and the back was left for me. I'd like a professional opinion - Is it better to sod or seed? We live in South Texas and mostly Bermuda grass is grown here. And depending on your recommendation, how should we prepare the ground prior to planting? By the way, the soil is clay-like. I don't know what to do to help our lawn grow beautifully. Any advice is appreciated.

2. How big of an area is it.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

No doubt,with bermuda it's better to sod.First,most bermuda seed you'll be able to find is Common bermuda.The same bermuda horses graze on.It's cheap and doesn't look bad,but it won't match your sodded front lawn.Plus,you'll have to wait till about May(depending on your soil temps) until you will have any chance of bermuda seed germinating.
    See if you can find out what type of bermuda was sodded in the front.There's LOTS of different varieties of bermuda grasses.
    As far as laying the sod,take care of any leveling or grading you'd like done first.
    Then break up the clay with a tiller or rake.Work in some gypsum and smooth out the area.Then just lay your sod and keep the soil wet.Water,water,water.It's pretty simple.You can also spread some sand in the seams and this will help the bermuda spread and cover them.
    Once it's established,stay on a regular fertilizer and herbicide plan.Add lime and gypsum as needed.

4. GrassMan2005

It's about 3000 square feet.

5. GrassMan2005

Nick, thanks for the quick reply. What will the gypsum do for the grass? Thanks again.

6. NickN

from Alabama

The gypsum won't do anything for the grass,but it will help loosen the clay soil.It's not a one time thing though.It takes a few years of applications.
    Do an internet search on gypsum and you'll see what I'm talking about.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

nick.

be careful advising everyone to use gypsum without a soil test first. there are a lot of areas where gypsum can be detrimental. here for example. sandy alkaline soils.....

any amendment reccomendations should include ".....perform a soil test.......)

8. NickN

from Alabama

Did you see this in his post?
    <i>By the way, the soil is clay-like. </i>