sod over crabgrass.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Aug 29, 2012.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

With his Ok I placed a roll of sod on my neighbor's heavily crabgrass infested lawn. I wanted to see if it would take without soil preparation. Similar to my test a few months ago in my irrigated back yard--which did OK, but weakened due to shade.

The sod laid on the crabgrass looked OK for a few days, but area was not irrigated, and it soon looked wilted. I watered a bit every day, but it soon looked rather brown. I took a photo after pulling the sod back to reveal the yellowed and flattened crabgrass underneath. Began on Aug 24, and it had been about 4 days, in the photograph.
    Temps of about 90 predicted in next two days.

S3500006.jpg

S3500005.jpg

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't really give it a fair chance... this would be one time that a close mowing would be beneficial and adequate watering is called for... there is some emerging white roots on the bottom side of the sod though ,,, isn't there???

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I would never do a layover sod job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

I would hope nobody would

5. xtreem3d

Riggle...your way more knowledgeable than me...what were you expecting?

i guess i feel there was probably air between sod and smashed crabgrass that it never had a chance...also the cragrass dying out (souring?) probably wouldn't help, i have seen guys here lay sod but not roll it for good soil contact only to have it die
    Steve

6. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Please do not not move to Florida then as their are smucks all over this state that will do a layover in a second if they think it will get them a dime if the customer agrees to it for a lower cost.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly the crap I charge appropriately to redo after Mr. 150 dollar a pallet guy finishes in April and its all dead by by June. I make more money easier fixing other people eff ups.:usflag:

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

WTF? Seriously?

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, the craiglist bandits. The University of Central Florida is close by...all day every day each one of these future business leaders decided that if they can pay for a ad and get some sod jobs life is good. They will come to your lawn with a a Kombi system and till it up and then lightly rake it if you got "Good Money" and then you wonder why your lawn settled uneven after the installation.

There are all kinds here to say the least.

10. xtreem3d

i am guessing the customer just doesn't know any better?