sod over crabgrass.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The problem comes with the clumping grasses. You scalp them down but a clump still remains and the finished product looks like crap. Those clumps also inhibit the roots from getting to the soil.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It seems there is plenty of testimonials from both South and North in regards to laying sod over the existing lawn... my concern would be too much living material rotting and causing disease problems so mowing it short or glyphosate it would be the goal sure thing to do...

Sounds like we have a winner... :)

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

New sod laid directly over crabgrass is looking slightly better. I was more careful about watering it every day for 3 minutes.
    The crabgrass underneath the sod is dead and collapsed. Sod was laid on August 24, 2012, now 17 days afterwards. Weather was about 10 days dry and 85 degrees.

S3500017.jpg

S3500018.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. Patriot Services

Put a few pieces down and see if the CG doesn't grow up between them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If you did it now the crab is in its final tiller in most cases in the northern or mid atlantic areas so it wont compete as much against the sod I have seen many a yard done this time of yr just thrown down over and it takes very well. I am sodding my personal lawn with bluegrass on Friday I sprayed everything with gly and mowed to the dirt I could probally lay right over but I'm going to powerrake it twice just before laying the sod.

6. Patriot Services

Pray your pre em gets to the seeds already dropped next year before they germinate.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

In my personal lawn there was no cg
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question, Patriot,
    Is the seed present now mature enough to germinate and grow...or...must it remain on the plant for a few more weeks to reach seed maturity?
    Does short mowing reduce the amount of seed for next year...or...is this going to make only a tiny difference?

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

CG seed only germinates when it has a barespot of dirt and baking in the sun where nothing else is growing... the seed under the sod doesn't stand a chance unless the sod deteriorates of comes up between the cracks next Spring...
    All those same seeds would be there, even if the ground was tilled...

10. Patriot Services

Not around here CG will pop up in the healthiest of SA even with two rounds of pre em at 3 month spacing. My experience has been there will always be a small amount to control. 100% CG free is not possible. Spray, scalp, mow, smother, spray again and you still will have some to deal with. It's all about a tolerance level for the customer.
    Posted via Mobile Device