sod over crabgrass.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

Cool experiment. I would like to see the results in my region for the same test in the early spring.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sod over grass and crabgrass with no preparation. Followup 2 years later.
    Recent questions caused me to revisit the sod laid in August 2012.
    One roll of sod, 18 by 54 inches was laid next to the mailbox with no preparation. After about 2 years, it looks about the same as the rest of the yard, perhaps slightly lower growing; one sprout of nutsedge visible. Corners marked by white spoons. Lots of crabgrass like the rest of the yard--which has minimal care. Never watered, this year. This year was cooler and more rainy than usual. Temperature at the moment was 50 degrees, F.

Bonus slide: dandelion sprayed with a heavy shot of iron (ferrous sulfate) to test its ability to kill weeds. Five days after treatment.

S3500002.jpg

S3500003.jpg

S3500004.jpg

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So you are saying that your spot of sod over the crabgrass is now mostly crabgrass again after 2 years???

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yup. I guess the crabgrass come back almost as strong as before. This lawn gets no water--nor any care whatever--except irregular mowing. I can only assume there was a lot of crabgrass seed in the soil--and that no pre-emergent was used, of course. I will take another look after frost and try to see if any bluegrass is still there, or if rye and crab have taken over.