1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sod over Halts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clipfert, Apr 10, 2002.

1. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Just contacted by a potential customer wanting sod (approx 10,000 sq ft). It seems that he had a new pool installed and seeded AND applied Scotts with Halts Crabgrass Preventer. I didn't ask why. Well he realized his seeds are not growing and he made a mistake. He wants grass ASAP. My question is can sod be laid on the Halts after it is tilled under?? Or is he waiting until the fall??

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Given the stupidity of what the clients done so far, it's probably safe to assume he's over applied the Halts too. That said, tilling would cause the barrier to break & the vapors that don't dissipate will at least be diluted to the point where the sod will be OK.
    In other words: Go for it.

Steve

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Tilled in should be OK,

Most crab. pre-emergents do inhabit root development on sod.

I think I would worry more about the "DIP"watering enough to keep it alive.

Hang in there!

4. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

till in some ACTIVATED CHARCOAL...:cool:

5. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys I was thinking the same thing but did not know for sure. Until....I called Scotts yesterday and was told it would be 4 months for the Halts to breakdown. This would apply to reseeding AND laying sod.

Thanks again,

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Any tiller worth it's weight in salt is going to churn soil down to 10" or more. Pendimethalin sets a gaseous vapor vapor in the top inch of soil. I'll repeat, tilling that barrier will cause much of the gas to dissipate. What's left will be diluted by a factor of 10. Halts label does NOT require a 4 month wait even at the full rate so the Scotts rep was covering the companies butt.
    If you're really worried, Activated Charcoal definately will work, but I still don't think you need to go that far.
    Just my opinion though.

Steve

7. anthony

anthony Guest

groundsguy.........
    good point.

clipfert...did you dothe jod..how did it come out?

ant