1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod over sand??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DoetschOutdoor, Jul 18, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I recently took out a swingset for a customer and now need to do somthing to get the grass growing, well in the fall at least...as of right now there is still sand from where the sandbox was. Can sod be put down over this, should I add topsoil first, etc? thanks in advance
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

A little bit of sand isn't going to keep sod from taking root.
  3. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I would add a least a few inches of topsoil over the sand or maybe add a of lot of topsoil and till it in. I have found that sand does not hold water and will cause your sod to dry out quickly. On a recent large sod job we had two big brown areas one was where the block guys dumped there sand and the other was where the general contractor push 2 inches of topsoil over 2 feet of gravel. We didn't find either till the sod started to turn brown for no reason, then i got the good old shovel out and found out why. Either way we had to put a lot of extra water on both areas. hope this helps.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Blend in some soil you will be much happier in the long run. Even golf greens that are called sand are only 65% sand. Pure sand will leach water badly and dry out quickly.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The only question is how deep is the sand? If it's a sandbox that was dug out and sand put in then the sand needs to go, if the sand is just a left over layer on top then it really doesn't matter, just spread it out.
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The sand is not too thick. Im going to bring in a load or so of topsoil and put that down first I think, just to be sure.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we work on a barrier island.....PURE beach sand, bottomless...
    sod does fine...