Sod Prep, which is more efficient

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cleancutccl, Feb 2, 2006.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Of course there are different applications for every job but overall which do you feel is more efficient.
    1.Sod cutter then verticut or power rake ground, then lay sod.
    2.Chemically kill grass then verticut and lay sod.
    3.Harley rake the area and lay sod.
    4.Not sure of any other options, but if you have another idea.

2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

kill lawn an lay sod period done finished go home !!!!

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Do you not power rake?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Don't tell me you guys lay good sod right over old sod..PLEEEZE don't tell me that is how you prep an area for sod installation..Oh gosh what the heck is up with that?
    WRONG !!! Preping a lawn does not necessarly need to be effeicient..it needs to be RIGHT!
    Remove all the old sod and weeds-amend native soil with compost within the 1st 4"at least,
    fill any low spots and grade rake to drain and remove any debri,
    roll and fill and rake
    again.
    moisten to settle soil.
    Add any starter fert and rake it lightly into top of soil.
    Lay your sod.
    I do more steps than this depending on if there is irrigation sprinklers or not.
    .THE ABOVE LIST is the basic steps ONLY

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

If the customer is spending money on sod, do it right. She-shovel said it right. Lime if needed with the fert. Remove all rocks. Soil prep is the most important.

6. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Chemically kill off everything, nuke it with a thatcher if necessary, add a thin layer of soil and fill in low spots, lime before sod, then sod. No additional fert. for 2 weeks. Theres enough N in the sod from the grower. When you go back to fert., no more than 10-10-10. Repitching the lawn is extra. The biggest mistake I see people make is trying to remove the old sod along with 1-2" of the old soil. By the time your done with the TKO and thatching, you'll be down to almost bare soil.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

lol

what a knee jerk reaction....

first depending on your soil you absolutely CAN lay right over the top of the old sod...

if your ph and micro levels are ok and they fdo not need to be worked into the soil, and you are not on compacted clay that needs to be broken up.. then you are fine....

remove the grass and weeds and till in compost....... what is comost.. decomposed plant material..

the old sod will decompose under the new sod and leave a wonderful layer of rich organic material..... the new sod roots will be very happy growing down into the decomposing old sod......

8. in a perfect world, you would do all the steps you mentioned, but its not and you do what was mentioned above.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Right compost is decomposed plant material..not decomposing plant material.
    IF your soil ph is right(when is that ever true when your replacing a bad or old lawn?)
    If your soil is not clay-If you do not need to fix the soil or facilitate drainage IF_IF_IF_IF
    It may not be easier--but my word is a perfect world I dont see why it cant be laying new sod and I do not lay good new sod over old dead chemicly laden sod.So it is really up to you HOW you want to do your work.Easy and quicker-or slower with more steps involved but better and longer lasting.Roots may grow into the old sod yes if the chemical you apply does not kill them as they do..and them once that "organic matter"as you call it,is used up then what do the roots do?Where will the soil be for them?
    They will be weaker in the long run and not have a good "foot"in.
    I NEVER SAID you could not do it..I said you should not do it Yardpro..read and pay attention please.

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

why not ya killed it before . its dead , finished , done ,,, lay new sod over top ,,, collect check ,, an go home,, enough said thanks george