SOD Price help

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Poncho25, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys/gals. Need someone to double check my numbers here for SOD. Wanted to make sure I am in the ballpark here. I measured out the areas as follows:

12x2.5 = 30 sq.ft

23x2.5 = 57.5 sq.ft

23x3.5 = 80.5 sq.ft

for a total of 168 total sq.ft (i am rounding off to 170)

Now the place I get my sod from sells it by piece, or 1/2 pallets. I am thinking of getting it by the piece cause I will not have use for the extra pieces that come in the 1/2 400 pallet (200) not much of a savings anyway.

So their pieces cover 2.5 sq.ft. that should be 68 pieces correct?
    I am getting it at 1.00 per piece, and I have already told the lady that I will do it for 1.05 per sq.ft. installed. Am i shooting off my foot on this? Or should I charge a delievery fee or something? My only costs are my price and myself, i am a solo guy.

So breaking it down, clients cost is 178.50 for sod and installation. Is this about right or again am i shooting myself?
  2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Basicly you are going to go get the sod, hual it to her home, lay it for $100 bucks. Isnt your time and fuel worth something. I know it dont take long to lay 68 peices of sod, but how long is it going to take you to get to the sod farm, load the truck, drive to her house,and then unload and lay the sod., Now add fuel for the truck, and even solo you still have truck payments and insurance and maintenance expenses. I would tack on a delivery charge, even if it is a small on.
  3. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Everything he said, plus the fact that getting exactly enough pieces of sod to technically cover 170 sq. ft. is dangerous. I'd get at least 10% more than you think you need, since you're going to be cutting pieces and will need extra, plus who is to say that you measured EXACTLY right? You can measure the same property 3 times and come up with 3 different measurements. Better to have too much than too little, and better to make a little money on materials than have to dig money out of your own pocket because you underestimated your materials.
  4. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably get the 1/2 400 palet for 70 bucks then. that will give me 200. I will charge her for 200 then and I was going to charge a delievery fee, the sod nursery is on the way to her place so not going out of my way at all with that. Thanks again for the input, really appreciate it.
  5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

So you're going to make a DIME off each piece of sod you lay? I wouldn't do it for any less than $300. Unless you like working for free....
  6. ODC

ODC LawnSite Member

I am in MN and that job would be no less than $500.00. I also can get the sod for alot less. .115 per square foot delivered for large orders. .095 for when I pick it up.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should ask if that price is the landscaper wholesale price and not retail.