sod/price please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Jul 10, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

please price this: tiny little front yard, needs to be graded and taken down some, there is alot of lumps and bumps and the excess soil will be distributed to other areas of the property. install sod(285 sq. ft.) price of sod=$45. closest sod farm is 45 min away. i figure prep time to be about 2 hrs with myself and one helper, using hand tools. thanx for yur help

2. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

285 sq ft ads up to 31.6 yards. Around here 1 yard cost me between a buck 20 if I pick it up (farm is 40 min. drive 1 way)and a buck 30 for delivery with no charge for pallets. So these numbers add up to say 50 bucks for fescu sod. Our pallets each have 50 yds each. You're talking using less than 1 pallet. We charge a buck 55 for contractors and two ten for joe blow. Then labor on top. I would do this job for around one eighty.

3. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

1.25sq ft with preping, removal excess/adding soil ammendments and if it comes out eXcellent

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

one hundred and eighty dollars? i come up with $365 total.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well, I figured out the labor costs, fuel, materials, and came up with --- too small to dink around with.

Go hunting for bigger game.

6. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Stonehenge,

I don't know about bobbygedd's line of work but I have found a niche market doing the small jobs none of the bigger landscape contractors want to mess with. The market is out there for the small jobs that us smaller guys can deal with and make decent money. The $180 figure is about what I would charge. I would try and coordinate the pickup of the sod with another trip to Indy and consolidate the travel with another job. So I would ask the customer to wait for that or they would have to pay a premium for their sod job. Most will wait a week or two so I can line up a couple of small jobs together.

Go for it bobbyg. :blob3:

Matt

7. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

Hey Im not a big company,,,
    Your ruining the market dude only charging $180 !! regardless how you spread it out
    Are You Lic/ins ??
    wheres your money for any of the prep work? your ruining my nitche work fellow
    Gosh!!!
    unless you just plop it down and off you go

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

thanx for the info guys. we all have our own ideas about what a job shoulyd be worth. i was just curious as to what the competition is charging. i know the price will vary depending on location. i got a deposit today and will do the job on tuesday, for 365 plus tax, and i had second thoughts about even taking it cus i could probably make more in less time doing trimming, but i took it. thanx again

9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby.

Where in NJ are you located??? You might want to be calling to make sure sod is available for pick up. Our closest supplier has been running out of bluegrass with all the development thats been happenning around here.

And stayyyy away from sod that hasnt matured long enough that they will sometimes sell just because demand is so high. Immature sod doesnt have a very extensive root system to hold the soil, is a bear to handle without tearing into pieces as you try to load/carry/move or install it. It will grow once you get it into place but can increase your installation times exponentially.

CMerLand

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

merland, u were right, i had a bad ass time trying to get decent sod. i went to freehold for it, im in the north brunswick area. got the job done today in a few hrs, looks great. where in nj r u?