sod pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bearcatlawn, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

How would you price a sod job of 30,000 square feet. The ground will already be prepped. We have never priced a job this big before. Around here, we can get sod for approximately $2.00 per roll (1.5 by 5) plus delivery. Thanks for any input.
  2. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

most rolls equal one yard. assuming this, pallets around here cover (450sqft) and they cost $100.00 plus $20 pallet deposit

so materials cost is $120.00 per 450 sq ft

how are you putting this down, how large a crew?

your are looking at about 67 pallets or sod, or almost 3 1/2 tractor trailer loads.

now don't forget to factor in the delivery charges for the sod.

$8,040.00 for sod and pallets plus delivery charges.
    guess 150-175 per load to deliver so guessing $700.00

a very experienced crew can lay 22 pallets per day (4 men, all working, all day)
    figure 3 HARD days of install. If the yard is fairly flat. IF there are steep slopes that add to this.

16 minimum manhours to bid but but the least to install.
    $8700.00 SOD minumum costs for 30,000 ft

One bit of advise if you haven't measured sod or installed sod before. DO NOT GO BY CUSTOMER'S MEASUREMENTS. Double check your measurements.

also haggle with the grower a little this is a large shipment for them, maybe you can get a little break on materials.

I haven't priced the job for you, rather I just got you started. Hopefully you can add your profit and overhead to these figures and nail this one. Good Luck.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Do you have the equipment for the large rolls? What type of grade are you dealing with? Slope?..level?...trees? all things to consider.

On a job of that size...we order the large rolls and lay it with the tractor. Its much faster.

My cost on Bermuda Sod (full sun warm season) is 1.17 per yard + delivery (probably free for that amount of sod). Install the Rolls for $1.50 per yard. The common price for laying sod in my area is $1.00 per yard. That is way to dang cheap IMO.

$3510.00 for sod
    $4500.00 for install and add misc. material cost.

This is my area now.....Im sure your area will bring more.
  4. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

The 30,000 square feet came from a blue print that was on scale. I am going to measure the property tomorrow. We have never done an install this big before and I don't have a machine to unroll the sod. I figured a crew of 4 guys busting a could do this in 3 to 3.5 days. The property is flat and we will be doing the final grading before laying the sod (seperate price). Thanks for the input.
  5. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

I posted 16 manhours, sorry error, should have been.96 manhours. Not sure where 16 came from.

I made the mistake in a hurry trusting a "scaled" blueprint and the sod was way off. Luckily I had done lots of work and still do work for the guy and he was comfortable with the adjustment.
  6. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

You guys might think I'm crazy but up here in massachusetts, my company gets $1.00 a square FOOT, for sod installation. Just sod, on already prepped loam. If we have to spread and grade the loam first, we get $1.55 per sq. ft. Now, being a 30,000 sq ft. job, obviously you can't get charge those prices, but I wouldn't go to much lower. Maybe 10%. Also see what kind of discount your sod grower will give you on that size job, and use the same percentage. I know it sounds like alot of money, but it's alot of area. And remember, (as my father always taught me) If you drop your price, your dropping your pants.

LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN

In this area----30,000sq ft divided by 9 gives me let's just say 3300 yds. of sod. 3300yds of sod x 5.00/yd installed= $16,500.00
  8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to move...our prices suck on sod! We get 2.50 a yard installed.
  9. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

2.50 a yard installed?! Holy cow. How much is the sod down there? 2.50 a yard works out to be .28 per sq. ft. Sod (material only) up here in mass is about .30 per sq. ft. not counting markup on material and labor.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

What do you guys do as far as prep work?

Ive had customers ask for minor sod installations, i just have recommended a local a few times, of course ive never gotten any "lawn service contracts" or recommendations back out of him. :confused:

To take a strait grass lawn, flat, open, maybe a few trees. From start to finish, can you rotor till the entire area, rake it to get excess grass off and then lay out the new sod rolls with a front end loader utility tractor? I probably wouldnt get into huge jobs like this ever but for front or front and side yards i would love to do this.