Sod Pricing ....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FordLawnLandscape, Jun 1, 2008.

1. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

Quick question guys, i know rates are different in differnt geographical areas , but i'll be Landscaping a New Gas Station here in GA w/ aprox. 20 pallets of Bermuda. Just curious to see what most of yall are getting Per pallet when its a 20 pallet job ? thx guys ! Also , i"m subing out the grading, will be planting 18 crate myrtles around the permiter , 24 Holleys, pretty good bit of juniper on top of a retaining wall behind station size of top of wall is (15 x 30) 3 juniper islands and maybe a japanese maple in the middle. And of course an assortment of annuals throughout. I know this is kinda vague but where would you guys price this job ? I havent crunched the numbers yet but im thinking around $9500 - $10,000 ... Includes buying all material and paying help, 3 guys @ $11.00.

2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

to little info stated. you did not mention gal size of shrubs, ect.

and you will need more than 3guys to do 20pals of sod.

3. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

also how many sq ft come on the pallet?

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is 500 sq ft on a pallet I would be at 10,000 just for the sod and three times material cost for the plants.

5. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

small (10-20%) mark up on the sod + around $100 - 150/ pallet to lay, provided that the area is fine graded.

Need more info on the plants; i.e. container sizes, soil quantity, mulch type/quantity, etc.

6. JNyz

You are going to lay sod for .30 square ft. I could use you as a sub. I'll sell jobs you do the installs and I will make more then what I am making now.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What kind of guys are you using?? hobos? 3 guys can do 20 pallets by 3:00PM!

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

So the sod cost 1500 delivered... fuel exp, labor costs and overhead for one day -$700. So you are going to make $7800 in one day more than likely by 3:00 if you have a crew that knows how to lay sod?

9. JNyz

A dollar a square. That is what I charge.

10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

4 of my guys can lay 20 pallets in 8 hrs, max.

So, at $120/pallet, that's $2,400. At $400 labor cost, I'm walking away with $2k (minus overhead).

Another thing with sod is that any idiot can do it; in Louisiana sodding is one of the few things (other than mowing) that doesn't require some type of horicultural license. That being said, in order to get the jobs, numbers can't be too inflated.