1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sod pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by capescaper, Oct 10, 2003.

1. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

what are u getting for sod by the square foot how do u include prep work like tractor time then sq ft for laying
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I don't include prep time for sod work. Each site is different. As far as actually laying sod, I receive $50.00 per pallet additional to the sod price.
  3. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

$.30/sq. ft, includes prep (does not include topsoil if needed and moving of the topsoil). The sod is 100% Kentucky Bluegrass and is .13/sq. ft. For additional one cent you can rent a machine that lays down the big rolls (makes life real easy:).
  4. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

We are getting $50 - $60 as well, depends how far the wheel barrows must travel. Prep is guestimated based on the current conditions.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Jroctx, how many pallets can you install in one day - cut in and cleanup included?
    Myself and two laborers can do twelve in seven hours.
    We have the pallets sited first, then, if necessary, I can move the remains with my tractor.
    With the mark up on the sod, plus the prep work, we come out okay.
  6. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

SWD, the most me and a crew of 2 has done in an 8 hr shift was prep 3,500 sq, feet (removed undesirable weeds, laid 6 cu.yds of topsoil and hand graded), then wheel barrowed 8 pallets (tif 419) up to 100 ft of so. I would say the sod laying was about 4hrs. It was a day like today, 70's. Cool days average about 30 mins a pallet with 2 men barrowing it, 1 man cutting in and all 3 tossing it. In the dead of summer about 45 min. a pallet.

Have a buddy that swears his 5 men crew laid 50 pallets at a lakeway site. Of course he had the luxery of having the pallets sited, so minimal barrowing. Here in the burbs, the gates prevent us from dropping pallets at the spot, unless it's a new construction!
  7. Jroctx

Jroctx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

To add. On such projects, as a carrot, I tell the guys that the budget is $X. If they finish in 1 hr they will be paid $X, if they finish in 8 hrs, they will be paid the same $X as 1 hr. Lunch and a ride to their door step is usually their bonus.
  8. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

1st, does an area need to be sprayed w/ Round Up 1 week+ before? there's that charge depending on time/ materials...
    skidsteer is at least $50 hr., 4 hr. min. (Rockhound is $60 hr.) I charge more than this because I sub it out and those are my costs. renting a bobcat costs too. I do not price "per hour", I price the whole grading/ transport job.
    Tifway 419 is $90/ 504 sq. ft. pallet
    $50 drop charge
    Top Soil is around $250-$300 per single axle load (or up to $25 per cu. yd.) - delivered
    Sodding (fine grade, lay, cut, water, roll ) - I never price "per pallet" but we do need to get at least $100 per pallet sodding labor. $100 per is really on the low end in my book. Why should something like this be so cheap? Why should sod be such a low profit center? It's a lot of work! And we don't do the "get in-get out / rough grade/ slopppy /poor quality sod / laid on rocks" type job - like builders are notorious for with their landscapers with loads of unsupervised labor.
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$1.25-$1.50 per sq ft to purchase, pickup, deliver, and install sod. prep is extra
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in bobby's range. Minimum we charge is $1.00 sqft, with an exception of a contractor we do alot of work for. He has an agreement of .60 sqft. and that is just to lay it... no prep. :cool: