Sod Project Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by oceanpotion, Mar 12, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a sod project coming up soon and the area that is going to be sodded is a 8' X 40' ridge. There is a bunch of uneven ground. Im just wondering what the best way to flatten the ground would be before I drop the new grass... like I said its almost a ridge pattern. As of right now it a healthy weed/grass mix.

Spanks

2. oceanpotion

Hello? Anyone ever do anything like this?

Right now Im thinking spray everything dead, give it the once over with the trimmer, then come through with a.... tiller? Once that is complete Im thinking raking everything out even and then dropping the sod. Would that work? Is there a better way to do it?

3. TurfConcepts Inc

TurfConcepts Inc LawnSite Member

Sounds good to me. What kind of sod will you be putting down? Do you have a pic of the area? What is the soil condition? Is it irrigated?

4. oceanpotion

TurfConcepts: Thank you for the reply. I felt like I was annoying everyone.

I need to find someone for the irragation install. How can I find out the soil condition... what kind of question will the soil condition answer for me?

Im going over tomorrow to service the yard and have a pow-wow w/my guy. I will take pics and measurements.

5. TurfConcepts Inc

Soil condition is important for new sod. Many don't consider this but it is. Being in Palm Beach, I assume you will be laying St. Augustine grass. If you want, contact Carolyn Saft at the University of Florida county extension office. She should be able to tell you how to collect and where to take a soil sample for analysis. Soil testing will tell you if any soil amendments are needed (IE: lime) or if there is pest issues (IE: nematodes).

This is a step you don't have to do but if you are sodding a large area and spending a lot of $, then do it right.

If you choose not to, just till, level, apply a starter fertilizer and lay the sod. Be sure it will be irrigated.

Here is a link to the UF extension office and Carolyn's contact info

http://www.pbcgov.com/coopext/horticulture/contact.htm

Good luck and remember Green Side Up!

6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Turf,
    What is your take on non selective herb (round up), scalp the grass/weeds apply thin coat of sand to level and lay the sod on top. I sometimes don't like tilling with weeds. It's like replanting. What do you think.

Gary

7. TurfConcepts Inc

True enough, tilling does expose the seed bank in the soil allowing for the possibility of new weeds. However, round up and scalping does not usually leave a surface optimal for sod rooting. Also round up doesn't always kill everything in the first or second application (bermudagrass). I should have clarified my post, round up first, then till, level and sod.

I usually use this method for lawn replacements. Then, if I see weeds penetrating up through the new sod, I treat them accordingly.

8. oceanpotion

Turf, thank you very much... I now feel confident enough to do the job. Now I need to figure out how to price it.

9. jas4906

jas4906 LawnSite Member

Ocean,
    Where will you be getting your sod? Let me know your location and when you will need it and I will be glad to drop it off for you. You can call me at 561-983-1924..... I am in Palm Beach County....