1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sod Question?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by N.TX, Jun 12, 2008.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I was wondering what I should charge to install bermuda sod if there is no prep work involved. I am going to be installing 8 pallets. If anyone can help me out on what the going price is. The sod will cost me 108 a pallet, they are 500sf pallets, the pallets will be delivered for 65 bucks, the only thing we have to do is lay it they have already done all the prep work.
  2. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge for an hour amd a quarter of labor per pallet providing you are not making long runs from the pallet to where it is sgoing to be laid. So if your hourly labor rate is $40.00 then you would charge $50.00 per pallet for labor. 8 pallets x $50.00 = $400.00. Add the $400 to the price you are charging for the pallets of grass, delivery and don't forget some time for clean up. It would look like this for me.

grass - 108 x 8 = $864
    labor - $400
    cleanup - 1 hour x $40 = $40
    Delivery - $65.00
    Total - $1369

Don't forget to factor in how far from the pallets the grass is going to get laid. The longer you have to carry the grass the longer it will take. The single best bit of advice I can give you is to try to get their to accept delivery of the grass and have the driver drop the pallets right where they will be laid. I do not hesitate to remove a section or two of fencing to get pallets into the backyard. I also tell the driver I have a $20 tip for him to take the time to drop where I want it. Oh and if it is anywhere near as hot where you are as it is for me be sure to begin watering the grass while still laying other sections.
  3. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

man you guys are laying that toooo cheap. only being 3 pallets , get at LEAST $300 per pallet ! :cool2:
  4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That is only an example not actual prices.