Sod question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenback, Mar 15, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i have never done any type of sod work. i want to put sod down in my yard. probably 3/4 acre, not many trees except 4 or 5 in the front. i have existing grass now, in pretty good shape but not great. what is involved, what do i need to rent and how much would it cost to have someone do it minus the material because i would pay for that. thanks in advance mike.

2. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

you have a few options lets start with one of the easiest.
    1. Rent a Bobcat
    2. Remove old grass and rough grade smooth.
    3. Hand Prep with rakes removing any rocks.
    4. Make sure your grade job has water flowing whare you want it to.
    5. Order sod delivery (sold by the yard with aprox 75 yards per pallet.
    6. Get some buddies to help lay the sod. Make sure the ends are butted together nice and tight and that the peices are stagerd.
    7. Water 20 min's 2x per day (may vary by location and conditions)
    8. Don't mow until you can't rip the sod out of the ground with your hands.
    9. Dont over water or the sod won't root until its 28 1/2 feet tall!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Option 2 hire it out...
    up to 2000 yards...$2.75 - $3.25 per yard
    over 2000 yards ...$2.50 - $3.00 per yard

email questions to mike48114@comcast.net

Good Luck!

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Test Soil
    Spray roundup where sod is to be installed.
    Wait til grass dies.
    Power rake dead grass which will remove about 75% of it.
    Apply soil amendments as soil test indicates
    Spread topsoil compost mix if poor soil.
    Rent a Bobcat with a Harley Rake attachment - this will turn over top 4 inches of soil and work in soil amendments that were spread.
    Fine grade by hand if needed - you can do most with harley rake.
    Apply a starter fertilizer at 1/2 proper rate per k
    Lay sod - but ends up tight
    Roll sod with full lawn roller
    Apply a starter fertilizer on top of sod at a 1/2 proper rate
    Water Water Water.
    You can't really overwater sod.
    Cut after it is rooted.
    Hire a professional to make monthly applications.
    Go to massage therapy next 4-6 weeks.
    Good luck

4. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want to tear your exsisting lawn up to install sod if as you said your exsisting lawn isnt that bad? Maintaining your lawn properly can out weigh tearing it up to lay sod. Fertilizer practices, herbicide applacations. I would call a professional to let them decide on what to do for you, 3/4 of an acre is alot of sod to lay. Sod if not maintained can turn into the same thing you have now down the road. If the lawn has a few weeds and is thin or for whatever reason you want to remove it and your not sure what to do call someone that knows....

5. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I'd recommend Hydroseeding the area.....3/4 Acre is alot of sod to lay....Any reason you don't want to just aerate, lime, fert, overseed?

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Or, the most highly recommended method would be to slitseed it. Rent a slitseeder, get yourself some Turf Type Tall Fescue (perhaps with a little Bluegrass mix), and put down around 5# per thousand for pre-established areas. Some starter fertilizer, and you won't beLIEVE what your lawn will look like, and how much healthier it will stay because of this particular type of grass. This stuff is becoming so popular now, that it's about dominating the market. As a matter of fact, it IS for new sports field installations. The advantage to TTTF, is that it has such a deep root system. So, it stays green all summer, is drought resistant, disease resistant, as well. It just can't be beat. It will do alot better than any sod you put down, and you'll save a BUNCH of money!

7. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

i will not be paying for the sod, thats why i just needed to know how much it would cost for someone to do it. for me to do it i would have to rent a bobcat for the day and then the next day lay it out ( with help from 3 or 4 of my friends). i heard you should also have a roller and roll over the sod after you put it in, is this true????

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Green back - As I said in step 11 - roll sod. Take the time to read what we took the time to freely advise.