Sod questions for nc lcos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, Apr 19, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Just a few questions on centipede sod in central nc.

What is a going rate for sodding, including light prep and fert, rolling, of centipede, including cost of sod itself? Did a search, and got figures all over the place, nothing consistant.

Also, I have found centipede per pallet (450 square feet) for 125.00 each. THis seems a little high.

Any reccomendations as to where to buy sod in NC, specifically near sanford.

I'm going to try sandhill turf, but hate to drive that far or pay del fee, but may have to.

Thanks all.
    matt

2. matthew horner

I could use the help here guys.

3. matthew horner

Please.............somebody

4. matthew horner

keep em coming, 52 views

5. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We have gotten sod at Sandhill turf before. It was fescue though. It has been about 2 years and I believe we paid $100 per pallet. I dont do alot of sodding but I would base my price on the amount of prep work. Laying sod is no big deal its the prep that will make or break the job. Hope this helps.

6. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Matt, I see your struggling with this one. Have you tried the N.C. Turf Council to see if they have any information? We have a couple of sod farms in my area and maybe you can give them a call to get some leads. Their numbers are 336/699/8545 and 336/869/5280. Did you get the e-mail I sent you about the mower.

7. matthew horner

Yeah I did get that email. Thank you. I can't afford something that expensive just yet. I appreciate the phone numbers for the sod companies. I am just concerned about my price on a bid I'm working up, and want to be fair to everyone. I know its a good idea to guage what the avg. company is paying and getting if you can.

Thanks again,
    Matt

8. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

You may want to try Tri State Turf. I think they are out of Newton Grove, or
    Dunn. How much sod are you buying? If you're buying a fair amount of sod delivery may not be too expensive. From what i understand, recently several big sod growers have gone in together to form a co-op so to speak. You call them with what you want and they will have it to you as soon as the next day. Will look for their number tonight and post it if i find it.

9. PowerPlay

PowerPlay LawnSite Member

Super Sod at the Farmers Market has centipede for $100/pallet. Their sod prices are the best I have found. Have you considered zoysia? Much better grass if someone wants to go the warm season route.

10. matthew horner

100 a pallet. Thats great, if the footage is good. I'm doing 4 pallets. Not to much, but still want to keep costs down. I'll look up supersod's number, I'll be in raleigh mowing towards the end of the week, and may be able to pick the sod at the end of the day.

Matt